PDA

View Full Version : Tender lovin care

Edwards
05-21-2013, 01:25 PM
After I let the last stanless .308 slip through my fingers at a local pawn shop....NEVER AGAIN....or until my wife finds out.
Just picked up a 116 stainless in .270..better yet...my first long action and a good price.

So, I pulled the stock off and it needs cleaning. Lite to little rust on the bottom of the action...no pitting. Steel wool? What do i use?

No i get to start figuring out what to make it. Suggestions?

blfuller
05-21-2013, 01:44 PM
Don't use steel wool on stainless because it will embed particles of steel and would tend to cause rust. Try some Flitz metal polish or a fine (gray colored) scotchbrite pad and some gun oil. It is a stainless receiver correct?

Edwards
05-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Stainless all around...my first stainless.

flyinsquirel
05-21-2013, 05:01 PM
I've had good luck removing light surface rust with just oil on a patch. The oil on scotchbright sounds good for more stubborn rust.

CharlieNC
05-21-2013, 06:08 PM
I've heard Frog Lube works great to revolve rust, and lube-protect. Got some on order!

big honkin jeep
05-21-2013, 10:50 PM
I'd probably start with a soft rag and some kroil or penetrating oil and get more aggressive if it didn't come off.
Just be careful if you use a scotch brite. They will remove metal and leave very fine scratches. They are actually just the ticket to remove laser etching like the logo on a Savage bolt. I have also used them by placing them on top of a sponge on the floor and spinning a barrel on em to remove pretty decent scratches from the dish on a crown or two.
I'd leave it a .270 and work up a load. You may be very surprised at how accurate and powerful the good ol .270 is.The 116 is an awesome shooting machine and I have one in particular in 30-06 that is stupid accurate.