PDA

View Full Version : Piece of advice for barrel changers (Not Savage) Please read this first.

Bradley Walker
05-21-2013, 11:41 AM
Almost all barrels on bolt guns (except for Savage) are Loctited into place. I know Remington uses RED Loctite (and A lot of it). You have to melt the glue to get the barrel to come off (unless you are just a real badass with a crowbar). You will need the action and barrel to reach temperature:

"Here it is from the horses mouth. The Loctite corp..

Q: How can I remove a fastener that is "permanently" locked in?

A: The application of heat is needed to remove a fastener that can't be removed with a hand tool. Temperatures of 325F and above is needed to break down a standard anaerobic, 500F for high temperature Anaerobics. A heat gun or propane torch is commonly used to do this process, and careful disassembly should occur while parts are still hot. Once apart, and cooled, use methylene chloride (Chisel #79040) to remove cured excess material. Always wipe down the fasteners with clean up solvent to remove the wax film that Chisel leaves on the surface.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...al-t73050.html

I would have guessed 300°F to 400°F. I had to disassemble a number of parts after a screw up, most would break free just as the Loctite was melting. The remainder of the Loctite was a powder."

Bobby Bailey
05-21-2013, 09:38 PM
So far, The only barrel I've had come through the shop with loctite on the threads was done by another gunsmith and not the factory. Some are tight enough to need a relief cut on the lathe, but the vast majority come off with the proper wrench and vice.
Bobby

Bradley Walker
05-22-2013, 10:48 AM
The last Remington 700 I pulled was loaded with Red Loctite and I think if you do some web searches you will find that Red Loctite in Remington 700's is extremely common...

Why the crap anyone would put Loctite on a barrel is beyond me... Almost no torque is required...

Bobby Bailey
05-23-2013, 10:44 PM
Some may have it ,but I've not run into it. I just pulled one from a rifle the customer bought last year and it had clean threads.
Bobby