PDA

View Full Version : Customization project M16 FHSS

gearandflapsup
01-28-2010, 12:38 AM
I am customizing my 2006 Model 16 FHSS. I did some searches to gather info. but what I am trying to do either hasn't been talked about in awhile or I don't know how to search the forum (I am new). I recently bought the aforementioned Savage in a 325WSM to compliment my Ruger Mk II 7mm-08 (Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40), and Remington 700 .243 (Bushnell 3-9x40). Its going to be my Elk, Moose and whatever else Long Range Shooter.

First I bought from Stocky's a laminated thumbhole Bone Gray "Tundra" for $139 on sale. It was in stock and arrived within a week. I ordered the stuff to convert to a blind mag ($35), hoping that later down the road I might have the hinged magazine on it... but keeping it simple for now. I haven't put the stock and the action together yet because one is in Georgia and the other is in Oregon. I am going to Oregon mid Feb and will assemble it then. I really think the Bone Gray is going to look awesome with the Stainless barrel.

Second, at a Gun Show I made an impulse buy on a Scope. It is an Osprey International 6-24x with AO and illuminated reticule. It has Hoya glass lenses. It may turn out good or bad impulse, but I thought the lenses were pretty sharp and with a lifetime warranty it seemed like a decent budget scope. I have a Leupold VXII 3-9x40mm on the rifle now, But thought I'd give the Osprey Intl a try.

Here is where I am going next.
-Bi Pod. The Tundra stock has two fore end studs. One for sling and One for Bi Pod.
-Glass Bedding/Floating Barrel

And way out in the future I think I would like to try getting another WSM Barrel maybe in .270 or 7mm, just for fun.

Any comments or recommendation will be appreciated. Specifically, about bi-pods, do it yourself glass bedding? Osprey Scopes? Where to get stainless barrels?

GaCop
01-28-2010, 07:01 AM
First off, welcome to the forums. Your correct on the Osprey being budget glass. I'd rate it somewhere between the Barskas and NC Stars. I don't know how long it will hold up to WSM recoil.

The laminate stock will need to be glass bedded and the barrel floated in the channel. If it doesn't have pillars, I think a good bedding will eliminate having to install them. Be sure to float the tang when you do the bedding. Good bedding material is either MarineTex or Devcon Steel Putty. I use Devcon for all my bedding jobs and am quite happy with the results. For a release agent I use Kiwi neutral shoe polish.

You'll need to become a paid member ($12/yr) to access the classifieds where you can finds some nice bargains. When your ready for another barrel, talk to Jim at Northland Shooter Supply or Devin at Sinarms (both site sponsors).

Bipod wise, you can't go wrong with a Harris.

Tom

gearandflapsup
01-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the reply. I hope the scope will be ok with the WSM. I won't be shooting the gun like a varmint rifle. I guess I will find out and post the results. It does have a lifetime warranty, hopefully I won't have to test its validity

Jeff

GaCop
01-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Keep us posted on how it goes, I'm curious about that scope too.

gearandflapsup
01-29-2010, 11:50 PM
I have seen mixed reviews in online forums. Some of the positive reviews are probably from their marketing department, but I have definately read reviews from people that are very happy. Several examples of people that have had minor problems, sent the scope back and received a replacement or repair. Just like you would expect from a Lifetime warranty. However, there are some very negative reviews as well. I will review the scope once I get the chance to use it. I put it, temporarily, on my Rem model 742 30-06. I will shoot with it within a week to ensure it does what it is supposed to do. I will report back on how it performed. The 325 WSM will be its final exam.