PDA

View Full Version : How Can I Convert "Coin-slot" Style turrets?

rmdailey
05-20-2013, 08:26 PM
I have heard it is possible to do a retrofit to "coin-slot" style turrets to make it easier to dial shots.

I'm indeed saving up for a Target/Tactical scope, but until I have the $1000 I want to spend, I want to make what I have work.

When I bought my Savage 111 30-06 Hunter it had a Bushnell 3-9 Scope. I had issues with this same model ($50 @ Walmart) Scope holding a zero on a 308 back in High School. Therefore I wanted to put the best glass I could get on it. Luckily I inherited a Ruger 77/22mag from my papa, and it had a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40mm (~$200) sitting on it. This gun shoots about 1" groups with good 22mag ammo. So I knew the scope was good. I swapped it out with the Bushnell.

The Nikon holds an excellent zero the only adjustments I made was when I went to a different ammo. However it is an older scope with the coin slot style turrets, this makes learning how to dial shots a pain. I have heard that there was a DIY thing you can do to modify the "coin-slot) for finger adjustments. Any body got any ideas?

Peace be with you,
Robert

fgw_in_fla
05-20-2013, 09:46 PM
I know there's retrofit turrets for the Leupold scopes:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/899510/stoney-point-target-knob-leupold-scopes-one-only

I really don't know if anyone make them for other brands...

stangfish
05-20-2013, 10:19 PM
epoxy

Westcliffe01
05-20-2013, 10:45 PM
You might find that "dialing" a scope like that is an exercise in futility. My Weaver scopes can be zeroed, but I would NEVER dial any correction in the field. It can take several shots to settle the reticle position and sometimes the adjustment will undershoot and other times overshoot. I would regard it as considerably less risky to use "kentucky windage" and hold over a dimension (based on the size of the animal) that equates to the amount of drop needed for the shot.

In my opinion, the worst aspect of a cheap scope is the turret. You are fortunate if it even stays put when you need it to.

rmdailey
05-20-2013, 11:52 PM
You might find that "dialing" a scope like that is an exercise in futility. My Weaver scopes can be zeroed, but I would NEVER dial any correction in the field. It can take several shots to settle the reticle position and sometimes the adjustment will undershoot and other times overshoot. I would regard it as considerably less risky to use "kentucky windage" and hold over a dimension (based on the size of the animal) that equates to the amount of drop needed for the shot.

In my opinion, the worst aspect of a cheap scope is the turret. You are fortunate if it even stays put when you need it to.

This is primarily something to play with at the range. As far as "being fortunate it stays put" while it's not a Nightforce, Nikon doesn't make crap scopes, the Bushnell I removed before the first shot, yes. And it's the best I can currently do. You may shocked that after 60 rounds my $300 Tupperware stocked Savage with a $200 scope is still shooting 3/4inch 100 yard groups with Fusion 150grns

Stagfish, Epoxy isn't a bad idea, I'm trying to avoid permanent modification. And I still want to use the caps when hunting to avoid knocking zero off. Although I could epoxy something to the top of the cap and flip it over and quickly adjust.

stomp442
05-21-2013, 12:19 AM
If I were you I would just be patient and save $169. The New Nikon prostaff scopes come with dial adjustment turrets. The 3-9X40 can be had at your local walmart for $169 and for a smidge more the 4-12X40 is $199. Do it right the first time around and be done with it. I know it sucks not having the cash right now or the equipement you really need but you will feel much better and be much more confident in the field with the proper equipment. In the mean time go to the range and learn your hold over for any given range you need. Often times the wide part of the reticle post can be used for a quick hold over reference.

rmdailey
05-21-2013, 11:57 AM
If I were you I would just be patient and save $169. The New Nikon prostaff scopes come with dial adjustment turrets. The 3-9X40 can be had at your local walmart for $169 and for a smidge more the 4-12X40 is $199. Do it right the first time around and be done with it. I know it sucks not having the cash right now or the equipement you really need but you will feel much better and be much more confident in the field with the proper equipment. In the mean time go to the range and learn your hold over for any given range you need. Often times the wide part of the reticle post can be used for a quick hold over reference.

Stomp I thought of that. But honestly I'd rather keep saving to get to a higher level of scope, instead of just replacing it with an equal but newer scope. I'm really hearing good things about the Weaver Grand Slam (Midway carries an exclusive mil/mil version). Bangsteel.com loves them for dialing shots, I think I'll just deal and save up $400. I'll stick with my MPBR-zero and practice holds.

yobuck
05-21-2013, 01:32 PM
stony point made aftermarket knobs for leupolds. i bought a set many years back but i was never really
happy with them. it was simply a different method for moving the same knob.
nikon does offer extensions for their lower profile knobs. but they are target knobs to start with.
leupold will change out the knobs completly for either the target or the m1 knobs.
im of the opinion that sticking with what youve got till your situation improves was good advise.

stangfish
05-21-2013, 03:18 PM
Nikon doesn't make crap scopes

As unpopular as this is I disagree. When a scope manufacturer has 6 - 10 lines of scopes there is a turd in the punch bowl somewhere. Great customer service is not worth anything in the field. Bushnell 10x 3200 elite is a good cheap scope for what you want.

chuckbuster243
05-21-2013, 03:33 PM

I dont know what kind of Weaver you own but I dial mine all the time. Every one will dial up perfect and back to zero on the money every time. I have 7 or 8 Classic V's and 40-44's. Love them all. And yes I have high end Millets, Sightrons and Luepys to compare too as well. I will take a Classic V over a Bushnell all day long. Matt

dolomite_supafly
05-21-2013, 04:13 PM
http://kentonindustries.com/category/custom-turrets