PDA

View Full Version : new used gun saftey

jlaz90
05-20-2013, 11:25 AM
I just picked up a savage 111 in .300 win mag from cabelas on sat. The gun was on there used rack. It has a 3-9 x40 scope on it (which I have no clue what brand it is btw). The gun has a synthetic stock and detachable magazine, it also does not have the accutrigger. I got the gun for what I thought was a steal at $300 dollars. I am not new to shooting, but new to savahe. I just would like to know is there certain screws or other things on the gun I should check before I fire the gun for saftey purposes and general maintenance. I know I am going to have to zero the gun in but anything I can do before I fire it to help would be swell. Any advice would be appreciated.

fgw_in_fla
05-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Anytime I buy a new toy, used or otherwise, it gets the proverbial once over. Pull the action out of the stock, check for junk in the mag well, check trigger, springs & pins, check barrel for free float, reassemble, pull bolt & disassemble & check everything, dryfire a few dummy rounds, check safety.
In short, check And / or adjust everything between the recoil pad screws & the hole in the end of the barrel.

Then shoot it. We'll expect a full range report. Its required of all new guys that just bought a Savage rifle. Then we'll tell you more about dealing with your new addiction. Barrel swapping....
Enjoy the new toy.
Frank in Fla

fgw_in_fla
05-20-2013, 01:52 PM
P.S. - Do a search trigger adjustment, barrel float, etc...... Some of the things I mentioned you'll find on the site here.

And, by the way, 3 rocks is a pretty good deal for that.

jonbearman
05-20-2013, 04:19 PM
I will give you one hint on that scope,give it away for a kid with a .22 and buy something decent.The one I had from the factory broke in 2 shots and I wasted another few till I realized the more I adjusted it ,it did nothing ,and it sprayed them everywhere.