PDA

View Full Version : Primer Problem

fla9-40
05-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Went to the range yesterday and was shooting some of my reloads for my 25-06 and had a weird but not unique thing happen. I shot the round and noticed some smoke coming from the rear left side of the action and when I went to eject the case it just stayed on the end of the bolt head and did not eject.
What happen was the primmer came out of the case and caused the ejector to get jammed back into the bolt head. =(

I got it home and took the bolt head off and can't seem to get the pin out that holds the ejector in. I believe you drive it towards the little recessed cut on the bolt...correct?

Any way, the range day did turn out good anyway!

stangfish
05-18-2013, 10:33 PM
Yes. It may be bent. :noidea:

bootsmcguire
05-18-2013, 11:33 PM
I had a 22-250 do that once. Couldn't get the pin or ejector out no matter what I tried. That action has been a single shot ever since.

thermaler
05-20-2013, 02:44 AM
I had a 22-250 do that once. Couldn't get the pin or ejector out no matter what I tried. That action has been a single shot ever since.

What are you getting for a 260? I'm trying to figure out if it really makes that much of a difference to go with the longer barrel as on the LRH.

fla9-40
05-20-2013, 08:21 AM
Yes. It may be bent. :noidea:

I'm beginning to think it is bent...Have broke 2 punch's so far and it has not moved. I've been soaking it in Kano Kroil Penetrating Oil and still a no go....I have another bolt head, but hate to have to set the head space again to use it!

fgw_in_fla
05-20-2013, 08:46 AM
At the risk of sounding like a schmuck....

Are you sure you're using the right size punch pin? Part 2 - Are you sure you're trying to drive out the retaining pin for the ejector?

I've had primers burn thru the wrong side & make a total mess of the bolt face, ejector & extractor but I've never had one that wouldn't succumb to the weight of my 2lb hammer & the appropriate diameter punch. After a good washing & drenching with some WD-39 of course...

scope eye
05-20-2013, 08:51 AM
"At the risk of sounding like a schmuck...."

Your risk didn't have very good odds, you sound like one.:behindsofa:

Dean

fgw_in_fla
05-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Be careful opening that box of brass when it gets there...

You aren't afraid of snakes, are you?

thomae
05-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Don't know if it's a viable option, but could you drill it out?

As for the rest of you guys, please play nice, little boys.

:caked:← Scope eye

fgw-in-fla → :boink:

bootsmcguire
05-20-2013, 04:12 PM
What are you getting for a 260? I'm trying to figure out if it really makes that much of a difference to go with the longer barrel as on the LRH.

PM sent, to avoid hi-jacking this thread further. LOL.

fla9-40
05-21-2013, 07:50 AM
At the risk of sounding like a schmuck....
Are you sure you're using the right size punch pin? Part 2 - Are you sure you're trying to drive out the retaining pin for the ejector?

I did steal the pics off other post here; hope this is ok to do so.....

Frank is it this one:

http://www.nettally.com/kwd/AxisBolt.jpg

Just kidding :p...Here is the pin I'm trying to remove:

http://www.nettally.com/kwd/Ejector.jpg

The pin may be bent as others have said.

thomae

Don't know if it's a viable option, but could you drill it out?

May have to resort to this......

fgw_in_fla
05-21-2013, 08:27 AM
You had me worried for a moment...
If you've beat it half to death with no joy, drill time. The pin is a soft(er) metal & should drill pretty easy. I've even used new pins & drove right thru the bolt head. I guess I tapped it just a little too hard.
I really can't imagine it not wanting to come out. I've had them look like they were welded in place & still, a few "gentle" taps with the hammer along with a few ceremonial blessings & bada bing bada boom..... Out it comes.

I have to ask.....
You ARE using a regular hammer & not one of the kids plastic hammers.... right?

fgw_in_fla
05-21-2013, 08:30 AM
I just looked at the picture again & noticed what appears to be a spring & retaining pin. Is that the new one?
Am I reading you correctly... the ejector pin & spring are still in the bolt head?
Does the ejector move at all or is it stuck all the way in or partially in?

By the way, check your PM box.

fla9-40
05-21-2013, 09:02 AM
The pictures are not of my stuff, I stole them off this site for reference.

My pin and spring are still in the bolt and jammed all the way back in the bolt...spring is compressed.

I have been using a punch that JUST fits in the hole (can still spin the punch with no problem..good fit) and been trying to drive it towards the recess on the bolt with a pretty good sized brass hammer and broke both punches and the pin has not budged!!

I'm going to try and drill it next.....

fgw_in_fla
05-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Yup..... Sounds like the ejector / spring is jammed tight against the retainer. I have yet to come across one that wouldn't see things my way when I have the 2lb, steel handle "Big Banger" on the job.

I think you'll find the retainer is much softer than the bolt head & a good sharp drill "should" blow right thru it.
If not, send it down & I'll send you one I have.
I'm bored to death.

fla9-40
05-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the offer Frank....Will let you know how the drilling goes...

thermaler
05-21-2013, 10:02 AM
you da man Frank : )

fgw_in_fla
05-21-2013, 10:24 AM
you da man Frank : )

Yeah.... I know.
Even if there's a few ex-wives that may argue that point. I won't tell you what they call me for fear of being banned for improper language use.

earl39
05-25-2013, 04:15 AM
Went to the range yesterday and was shooting some of my reloads for my 25-06 and had a weird but not unique thing happen. I shot the round and noticed some smoke coming from the rear left side of the action

Did no one notice the key phrase here. These reloads are way to hot if this is not a unique thing. Yes you most likely bent the retaining pin and may have to drill the ejector out also. If you insist on shooting reloads that send smoke out the safety port on the action you will continue to have problems like this and may have some that are even worse.

fla9-40
05-25-2013, 07:09 AM
Did no one notice the key phrase here. These reloads are way to hot if this is not a unique thing. Yes you most likely bent the retaining pin and may have to drill the ejector out also. If you insist on shooting reloads that send smoke out the safety port on the action you will continue to have problems like this and may have some that are even worse.

When I said "unique" I meant that I have heard of it before meaning the primer being pushed out of the brass....This is the first time I have ever experienced it.

I guess I should have worded it better/different..

Thanks earl39 for the imput