PDA

View Full Version : How many accutriggers are there?

dbranger94
01-27-2010, 09:38 PM
I have read several articles suggesting that there are at least three different AccuTrigger variations from Savage.

Lightest: Model 12 Target Series (Has Red/Orange Trigger Safety) Adjustable down to 6oz or so.

Medium: Model 10/110 Law Enforcement/Varmint Series. Supposedly adjustable down to about 1.5lbs or so.

Standard: Everything Else. Adjustable down to about 2-2.5lbs or so, without modifications.

I would like to know if this is fact or fiction, as I am planning on buying a 10FP soon.

Also, is it possible to remove the AccuRelease trigger safety from the AccuTriggers without compromising function?

trappst
01-27-2010, 11:27 PM
You are correct although I call the medium weight a varmint style. The varmint and the standard are the same except for the spring. If I recall, the target version is different.

Yes, the blade can be taken out. (insert all the lawyer, liability and safety crap here)

docsleepy
01-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Varmint accutrigger down to 1.5 according to Savage. Pretty sure THAT is what is on the 10FP. Friend has one, feels just like by 12FV.

The ones with the real TARGET accutrigger (6 oz) are the F class, palma, LRPV's. Those also have the larger shank size on the barrel.

The benchrest guys poo-poo the accutrigger. For $99 you can get a SSS trigger that supposedly goes to 12oz, replaces accutriggers. Consumer replacement.

For $300 SSS will time/true and put on a 2oz trigger.

I have had my varmint accutrigger (1.5 lb, 12FV) down to "feather" light. Don't know how many ounces, but it was noticeably light. However, it proceeded to "lock me out" several times when that happened, because the sear slipped off the trigger [I may have the wrong words there, but when it happens, you realize it quickly.] If I understand the function of the safety accutrigger properly, MY RIFLE WOULD HAVE FIRED in those instances....had I previously removed the safety lever. That alone would convince me not to remove the blade, and to more conservatively adjust the trigger. I've since adjusted it for a little more ounces, and it is flawless. I may try the $99 mod on one of my savages and see how I like that.

A friend told me of HIS friend who had a glock that went off once when he dropped it. Of course, that was pretty frightening. A gun going off by itself is not a small problem...

dbranger94
01-28-2010, 01:16 AM
I think that 1.5lbs is plenty low, but I think the trigger safety would be annoying. Do you think that 1.5lbs would be enough to keep it from accidentally firing without the safety blade?

PS: I updated my original post to include the Varmint Series in the 1.5lb class.

Blue Avenger
01-28-2010, 01:21 AM
A friend told me of HIS friend who had a glock that went off once when he dropped it. Of course, that was pretty frightening. A gun going off by itself is not a small problem...

a Glock going off by itself, that is almost impossible.

Uncle Jack
01-28-2010, 01:27 AM
The possibility of a Glock going off "by itself" are about the same as winning the lottery...two days in a row.

uj

sharpshooter
01-28-2010, 02:52 AM
Technically, there are 5 accutriggers.

steveinwv
01-28-2010, 09:51 AM
I have had my varmint accutrigger (1.5 lb, 12FV) down to "feather" light. Don't know how many ounces, but it was noticeably light. However, it proceeded to "lock me out" several times when that happened, because the sear slipped off the trigger [I may have the wrong words there, but when it happens, you realize it quickly.] If I understand the function of the safety accutrigger properly, MY RIFLE WOULD HAVE FIRED in those instances....had I previously removed the safety lever. That alone would convince me not to remove the blade, and to more conservatively adjust the trigger. I've since adjusted it for a little more ounces, and it is flawless. I may try the $99 mod on one of my savages and see how I like that.

Mine has done this too when turned all the way down. Half a turn up and its fine. What would anyone want to remove the blade for?

MikeCTX
01-28-2010, 09:58 AM

Is that including the RF triggers, or are there 5 centerfire? Aware of three of them - just curious about the other 2. Thanks in advance for your input

dbranger94
01-28-2010, 05:44 PM
What would anyone want to remove the blade for?

I have read several complaints that if the blade isn't pulled back just right they bind up and/or drag. That seems like an unnecessary distraction.

steveinwv
01-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Some people are capable of anything.

sharpshooter
01-29-2010, 03:18 AM

Is that including the RF triggers, or are there 5 centerfire? Aware of three of them - just curious about the other 2. Thanks in advance for your input

You are correct, the other 2 are rimfire.

MikeCTX
01-29-2010, 10:26 AM
Thanks Fred, had me going for a minute.

docsleepy
01-30-2010, 01:58 AM
I can't speak for other people or their rifles, but other than when I had mine adjusted FEATHER lite, it hasn't been a problem.

If you CONSCIOUSLY tried to pull the trigger back almost sideways, yes, you probbly could get it to do something funny. But pulling it straight back it works find, a very light amount of spring, and then you feel the real trigger, and you SQUEEEEEEZE a bit more and BANG.

But.....the other day I was in an extreme hurry and determined to get off some test loads and finish fire-forming some 6PPC at the range, with just barely enough time to make it back and get to work.....and the darn thing wouldn't fire. Over and over and over, it wouldn't go BANG. This was amazing -- last time the accutrigger malfunctioned (in a club match) it would work 2 out of 3 times, at least! I was just about to disassemble it right there and readjust that accutrigger, when I suddenly looked at the primer and realized I had FIVE perfectly loaded rounds that I had never deprimed after the last outing....and after several primer strikes on each, they had quite impressivle dents in those already-fired primers. Put in a REAL round and it worked perfectly.

I have a pre-accutrigger SAv 110 that I may put one of the $97 SSS triggers on and see how I like that....Ive read several good things about them. I'll eventually spring for the 2-ounce job.