PDA

View Full Version : 300 ultra mag

BTH
01-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Hi Guys,

Can a SAVAGE SPORTER ACTION LONG & 300 WIN MAG BOX be converted to 300 Ultra mag ? I know the action can handle it (I think) but will the magazine box handle it ? If not is their a way to lengthing ithe Mag Box ? And will the 300 ultra mag feed reliable ?

Thanks,

BTH

TheShootist1894
01-27-2010, 09:40 PM
I am building one currently on a standard shank LA stagger feed, forget the mag box. . .single shot is the way to go for utilizing the 200+grain bullets. . . IMHO

learjet
01-28-2010, 08:45 AM
good! someone else w almost the same questions!

:D

id like to do the same thing but in 338 rum.

i do know the 300 wm mag box is too short. i believe they r around 3.4"(BTH could u measure yours, and post the length?) in my searching here i read the sharpshooter will lengthen the mag box cut out in the bottom of the action, to accept a rum mag box(length 3.65 ish) sharpshooter didnt say he'd do this someone else posted that he would.

apparently there aare folks here who have used the 300wm .532 bolthead on rum calibers, even though the rum case head diameter is .535. im guessin theres plently of tolerance in these boltheads for this to work. every one i read about was a single shot though, so im not sure how well they would feed, extract, and eject as a repeater. apparently the factory rum actions were CRF, w the action mounted ejector. if the rum boltheads are available, or if a wsm CRF bolthead is interchangeable(dunno about this) the 300 wm action would need to have the ejector slot milled in place to install the ejector.

also the rums used a different baffle apparently to allow the bolt to travel farther to the rear

eventually the rums were changed over to large shank, for some reason never truly explained, along w the wsms, etc. the 300wm was never changed to large shank.

just throwin what i think i know out for discussion. seems theres lotsa folks who would like a rum repeater, but the actions are scarce. for u guys who like single shots thats great, but for me, if it isnt a repeater, im not interested.

my preference is to build my rum on a savage, but eventually i may just give up and build a lapua. couple friends have them, and its an amazing cartridge. the savage lapua is too tacticool for me, mebbe they will release a hunter version. who knows

lear

pphreed1
01-28-2010, 10:02 AM
I think 300 RUM mag box's are still available from savage then you have to open up the bottom of the reciever to the same size as the box there is quite a bit of room to do that at the rear of the reciever as the bolt has a lot of reciever left forward of it when it is all the way back to the stop. I did a 257 stw and modified the box myself and dremel tool groudn the bottom port back to lenght I needed it works but the mod is not pretty but the not pretty cannot be seen when the stock is on so I am sure any gunsmith could do it but sss proably has more experience than most and it woulf look a lot better than my chop job

BTH
01-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Hi Learjet,

I don't have one as of yet and was trying to find out if it can be done before I purchased it.

Thanks for all the info thou.

Sorry,
BTH

learjet
01-28-2010, 10:50 PM
i just found a 300 rum today locally. amazing, after all the searching. ive listed the barrel on the WTS section .. ive been goin round and round for quite awhile on this, and imho, do what i did, spend a day callin every gun store within what u consider a reasonable drive. the pawn shops and small local shops that dont sell on the internet tend to have the best deals on milsurps, and all 3 of my homebuilt savages started from a place like that. if u need any measurements etc lemme know, ill getem off my action for u

lear