PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: .17hm2

gerard488
05-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Is .17hm2 ammo becoming obsolete? I have a chance to buy a rifle in that caliber, wondering if it is a smart move.
Thanks in advance

J.Baker
05-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Ammo is still as readily available as it ever was (not counting the current ammo shortage due to panic buying). I think it's safe to say though that the market has pretty much deemed it an unnecessary cartridge as most every rifle manufacturer has either dropped it completely or cut their offerings back to only one model.

shaman
05-17-2013, 05:05 PM
I'll give you $5 plus shipping Mr. Furious. There is ammo, but it has been put to the side to keep up with the "popular" ammo I am pretty sure.

JCalhoun
05-19-2013, 11:44 PM
How much trouble would it be to convert a .17HM2 to a .17HMR or .17 Win Mag?

gerard488
05-20-2013, 12:47 AM
I`m thinking that if the 17hm2 has a rear locking bolt like a 22 it might not be strong enough to withstand the pressure of the 17 hmr or winchester. I`m not sure , might be somehing to look at. There would also be the smaller magazine to deal with.

davemuzz
05-20-2013, 07:55 AM
I've got a left-hand 17HM2 that I've been trying to sell for two years now and I can't give the darn thing away.

I'd take it off your hands.....but all of my tomato plants are already steaked for this year.

J.Baker
05-20-2013, 08:39 AM
How much trouble would it be to convert a .17HM2 to a .17HMR or .17 Win Mag?

If we're talking single-shots, it would just be a matter of running the HMR reamer into the HM2 barrel. On the older pre E-receiver rimfires the ports were smaller on the 22LR and 17HM2 than they were for the 22 Mag and 17HMR, so that would have to be opened up. Not sure if that still holds true on the e-receivers as I've never had one to compare. Also, the magazine feed port and retention hardware is different between the magnum and non-magnums so those parts would need changed as well.

In other words, unless it's a single-shot it would be more trouble than it's worth.

As for the 17 WSM it's a no-go in ANY gun not specifically designed for it. Not only is the pressure greatly higher, but it also requires an extremely heavy firing pin spring to ignite it - hence why Savage had to design an all new rifle that cocks on closing for it.

J.Baker
05-20-2013, 08:40 AM
I'd take it off your hands.....but all of my tomato plants are already steaked for this year.

I hear old 17HM2 barrels make great flag poles for Squeelers flags. :p

davemuzz
05-20-2013, 01:43 PM
I hear old 17HM2 barrels make great flag poles for Squeelers flags. :p

That's just an old wive's tale. Why? Because you can't fit pictures of all six Lombardi trophies on a flag that small. However, HM2 barrels make great support poles for rusting out beams on stadiums built by large bodies of water. Or more comely known as "The mistake on the Lake."

I've heard that. Yeah.

Dave

JCalhoun
05-20-2013, 11:59 PM
Cocks on closing? Sounds like an Enfield.