PDA

View Full Version : Identity crisis

epm1972
05-15-2013, 10:44 PM
I know my savage axis is a .243, but what I don't know is if there is a specific "model" number other than the caliber alone? I see a lot of axis this or that online and just want to make sure I know exactly what I have before I place orders on modification parts. The first place I looked was at the basix trigger and the models are confusing. Perhaps there is a thread already created that lists or shows all cross references for parts interchangeability between savage rifles? Thanks for helping out a new guy!

J.Baker
05-15-2013, 10:49 PM
An Axis is an Axis is an Axis. Only difference is what barrel is screwed onto it, which in turn dictates what bolt head, detachable magazine and trigger guard plate it gets.

jalmeter29
05-16-2013, 01:19 AM
Aren't the magazines are different? I don't have one but the "long action " cartridges have longer magazines? Maybe some one that has a short and long can give us more info.

pisgah
05-16-2013, 07:22 AM
Aren't the magazines are different? I don't have one but the "long action " cartridges have longer magazines? Maybe some one that has a short and long can give us more info.

Magazine external dimensions are the same for short and long; the shorts are blocked inside to make them work with the short cartridges.

thomae
05-16-2013, 08:20 AM
Magazine external dimensions are the same for short and long; the shorts are blocked inside to make them work with the short cartridges.Unless Savage has changed the way Axis rifles are put together recently, I respectfully believe you are mistaken. My understanding of the issues is that magazines used for traditional long action cartridges (30-06, etc) are physically longer than those used for shorter cartridges (.308 and similar).

Savage magazines designed for .223 and 7.62x39 mags (and possibly other shorter cartridges) use a short-action-length magazine with an internal spacer.

Savage fits the two sizes of magazines in the rifle by offering two lengths of trigger guard plates, one shorter (to accomodate longer mags) and one longer (to accomodate shorter mags).

If you reread Mr. Furious' post carefully, he already indicated that detachable magazines can be different for different chamberings.

An Axis is an Axis is an Axis. Only difference is what barrel is screwed onto it, which in turn dictates what bolt head, detachable magazine and trigger guard plate it gets.

jalmeter29
05-16-2013, 11:27 AM
223 and 243 both "short actions". Does anyone have a picture of a "long action". The length of both of these are about 3.6in.
http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w667/jalmeter/2013-05-16112408_zps01ae5596.jpg

pisgah
05-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Unless Savage has changed the way Axis rifles are put together recently, I respectfully believe you are mistaken. My understanding of the issues is that magazines used for traditional long action cartridges (30-06, etc) are physically longer than those used for shorter cartridges (.308 and similar).

Savage magazines designed for .223 and 7.62x39 mags (and possibly other shorter cartridges) use a short-action-length magazine with an internal spacer.

Savage fits the two sizes of magazines in the rifle by offering two lengths of trigger guard plates, one shorter (to accomodate longer mags) and one longer (to accomodate shorter mags).

If you reread Mr. Furious' post carefully, he already indicated that detachable magazines can be different for different chamberings.

My apologies. You are corrrect, as an examination of my .223, .308 and .270 showed me this A.M. I guess I had made the comparison between 2 previously, but obviously not the third.

J.Baker
05-16-2013, 06:54 PM
Long action on the left, .308 short-action on the right.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/MrFurious45833/Gun%20Stuff/DSC00833.jpg

As I said above, the magazines are different lengths for the different cartridges, same as they are with the 110's. The main part of the stocks are the same as well, only the removable piece that includes the trigger guard is different as there's a shorter one for use with L/A magazines and a longer one for use with S/A magazines.

bobfortier
05-16-2013, 08:29 PM
I studied the mag when I was offering stocks, and there are 3 mags. 223 and 204 are one (I think there are 204 axis, correct me if I'm wrong), 243, 7-08, 308 are one mag, and the 25-06, 270 and 30-06 are another longer mag.

J.Baker
05-16-2013, 11:40 PM
Right on the money Bob. As I stated, the Axis has the same exact magazine array as the 110-series guns do, because they use the exact same upper half (metal box) as the 110's. No 204 offering in the Axis line, but the .204 and .223 magazines are one and the same.