PDA

View Full Version : .270 Win. - Cutting neck length

fgw_in_fla
05-15-2013, 05:14 PM
A question for some of our more "seasoned" reloaders.
Any of y'all experiment with shortening the neck length of your brass? The .270 appears to have a longer neck than the 25.06 & 30.06.
The reason I ask is due to total boredom from being out of work & laid up with this miserable back injury, I'm cleaning & sizing every piece of brass I have. Since I have a substantial collection of once fired Fed .270 brass, I thought I kill a few weeks have a go of it.

During my brass refurbishment project, I found 30 pieces in a bag that had the neck length cut back approx. .125" ( roughly an 1/8" from what I can see).
Since there's 30 of them, I'd almost think it was cut intentionally. Any advantage to a shorter neck? I can't imagine it's dangerous - or is it? Or am I going on the wrong direction & this is someone's experiment & that's why it was in the spent brass bucket at the range?

Whatcha think?

scope eye
05-15-2013, 05:47 PM
I have also run into that, I don't know the purpose as long as you keep them in the same batch, they shoot fine.

Dean

fgw_in_fla
05-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Groovy...
I hate to waste good brass. I was thinking along the same lines.

Apache
05-16-2013, 11:07 PM
I have read and been told that if it is shot that way for a while it can lead to a carbon ring in front of the mouth of the short brass to the front of the chamber where it meets the throat of the chamber. I do NOT have any real experience with this issue though......I use shortened 280 and 270 brass for any 06 based cartridge personally.

fgw_in_fla
05-16-2013, 11:24 PM
I have read and been told that if it is shot that way for a while it can lead to a carbon ring in front of the mouth of the short brass to the front of the chamber where it meets the throat of the chamber. I do NOT have any real experience with this issue though......I use shortened 280 and 270 brass for any 06 based cartridge personally.

It sounds logical. I suppose if it was used exclusively it could happen. I think I'll put them in a separate bag & stash them for emergency use. It's not like I need them right away.
Thanks for the input.

kelbro
05-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Could be that someone forgot to reset their case trimmer. That may be why they left them behind at the range.

fgw_in_fla
05-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Could be.....
Because there was 30 of them It appeared that they may have been cut intentionally.
Or maybe someone screwed up & figured they'd shoot them anyway & pitch 'em when they were finished.

Either way, they go into isolation for the rest of their lives. Or until I need them for whatever reason.

yobuck
05-18-2013, 10:08 AM
carbon rings can build regardless and can affect accuracy.
cleaning involves removal of not only copper but also carbon.
products like gm top engine cleaner or slick 2000 work well for removing carbon.