PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is that?

jlcpls
05-13-2013, 12:59 PM
It's a SxS 45 Colt bona fide hand made hog destroyer - built on a Serbian 16 ga SxS shotgun frame.

I can't even begin to get my head around a narrative on this, nor the time its taken, as, with the exception of threading the barrels into the monoblock, the rest was done by hand. Drawfile the barrels, drill and tap the plates to hold the regulation, soldering and epoxy the ribs, sights, etc.

A lot of trial and error, a lot of lessons learned, a lot of powder and lead down range, but it will send a 280gr cast SAA (from a 270 SAA RCBS mold) out the 21" 14 twist barrels at 1,100 fps with 8.0 grains of unique, and absolutely blow apart a fencepost.

It's got 2" groups at 50 yards, which may not be perfect, but its good enough for me.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n23/jlcpls/guns/DSCF1092.jpg

Another pic. It's a perspective issue, the front doesn't really look like an old howitzer.

Much.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n23/jlcpls/guns/DSCF1088.jpg (http://s108.photobucket.com/user/jlcpls/media/guns/DSCF1088.jpg.html)

And forgive me Art Hammer for offering up a 16 gauge for build fodder, but I kept another that is still a 16. And always will be.

cheapshot
05-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Holy crap. I don't even know what to say. That is straight BA!

big honkin jeep
05-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Some poor guy way in the future is going to be burning the internet up trying to figure what kind of weird old gun he's come across, who made it and where it came from. :)

cheapshot
05-16-2013, 12:04 PM
Can we get a pic of it looking down the barrels?

jlcpls
05-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Can we get a pic of it looking down the barrels?

Yeah, I'll take one, probably this weekend.

Got it finished and I went straight into planting more in the garden.

Need to touch up some asymmetry in the quarter rib, which is strictly cosmetic, but its bugging me.

jlcpls
05-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Some poor guy way in the future is going to be burning the internet up trying to figure what kind of weird old gun he's come across, who made it and where it came from. :)

As soon as I get the 30-30 set finished, it will have two sets of barrels.

blueduck
05-18-2013, 12:03 AM
Maybe it reminds you of a Howitzer because ......well how do i say this? it is. or at least dwarf cousin Mr. and Mrs Howitzer raised for a another family member.... grin.

Eric in NC
06-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Great job building something different. I am sure that will put some venison or pork in the freezer. Would like to see a top down shot of the barrels at the breach and as cheapshot said, some muzzle action!

jlcpls
07-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Great job building something different. I am sure that will put some venison or pork in the freezer. Would like to see a top down shot of the barrels at the breach and as cheapshot said, some muzzle action!

The first hog it takes may be the ground type that I just spotted near my house.

Have a few days coming up that I may actually get some free time to shoot and take pics. Been busy, as noticed by the over 1 month delay in replying.