PDA

View Full Version : 308 to 223 Target Action Bolt

Tom Brush
05-12-2013, 09:51 PM
I want to change my .308 bolt head to a .223 bolt head for my Savage Target Action. What parts do I need and where is the best place to buy them? Is the Target Action bolt different than the model 10, 11, 12 bolts?

Tom

bootsmcguire
05-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Nope, it is the same as a Short action, assuming you have the Right bolt, Right eject. You should just need a 223 Short action bolt head and just switch over your ejector and extractor parts, unless you can locate a used complete bolt head for 223.

www.midwayusa.com and www.brownells.com normally have the boltheads, but with firearms stuff being in highg demand right now I'll bet most places will be backordered.

Nandy
05-13-2013, 04:38 PM
You need a complete 223 bolt head. Sharp shooter supply sells them complete and last time I checked it was just about 4 dollars more than getting the parts from midway or somewhere like that. However, if you are not going to switch back to the 308 then you can just get the bolt head with no parts and use the parts from your 308 and sell the bolt head here to recoup some of the money.... My advise will be to keep the 308 bolt head intact since that bolt head size (.473 if I recall right) is the most popular size... New complete bolt heads run you about $55....