PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 Blown Out Primer Now Won't Extract?

jookUpVandetti
05-12-2013, 08:12 PM
I took my Stevens 200 in 30-06 out today and for a second thought it was ruined!

Rifle is about 7 years old and hasn't been shot too much guessing a 100 rounds as I don't use it too much for hunting and it's a bit much just for target shooting.

But that is what I did today with it, target shooting.

Started with some Federal PowerShok 150gr, 6 rounds
Then a couple rounds Winchester Super X 165gr.
Shot both of these before never a problem. So far so good shooting like a champ like it always has.

Then put in a round of some new stuff I bought, Remington Express Bronze Point 200gr. First shot nailed a 2 liter soda bottle like it was a laser beam 300 yards out. Thought I had found the perfect round for some Hog Hunting I'm going to be doing this fall.

Told my buddy to try it out, since the last time I had it out I changed the buttstock, the stock one that came on it was brutal. The new buttstock made it way more of a pleasure to shoot!

So I'm all happy how my rifle is shooting and my buddy loads up a second one of the Remington Express Bronze Point 200gr. pulls the trigger and he's notice smoke coming out of the back of the bolt. WTH!! Then when he tries to open the bolt to extract the case its stuck. So I come over and with some gentle force get the bolt open and notice that the case is still stuck in the barrel and the round had blown the primer completely out!!

I get home remove the bolt and take a cleaning rod and gently put it down the barrel and with a slight tap knock the stuck cartridge out of the chamber.
I then inspect the barrel and the chamber and can't see any damage and everything looks ok.
I then inspect the bolt and it looks okay, so I load a round and it fits in and everything seems okay until I pull the bolt back, it will not flip the round out of the chamber its still clipped on to the bolt. I had to remove it by reaching in a pulling it out by hand.

I'm far from a gunsmith but I do clean my guns but pretty basic cleaning now that I read up. I've never disassembled the bolt or extractor just removed it and sprayed it down and cleaned it.

So now I'm wondering was it the Remington Express Bronze Point 200gr that is the culprit and when it blew out the primer messed up the extractor?
Or was it something else like rifle malfunctioned or I caused the malfunction by never disassembling the bolt and cleaning it?
I have never disassembled the bolt on any of my other rifles to clean it and have shot them way, way more than this rifle with ZERO problems.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dolomite_supafly
05-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Sounds like the gas pushed your ejector back down into the hole too far and stuck it. I woudl start by shooting some WD40 into the ejector hole on the bolt face. Then take a small pointy tool and try to push on it and get it to release itself. Worst case scenario you might have to replace the parts but they are probably under $20 total.

stangfish
05-12-2013, 09:19 PM
I agree. The only thing that you would probably need to replace would be the spring.

jookUpVandetti
05-12-2013, 09:26 PM
I guess you tube would show how?

I tried lubing it and no such luck a it moves but not working properly.

Care to point me in the right direction to order the parts from?

geargrinder
05-12-2013, 10:50 PM
I guess you tube would show how?

I tried lubing it and no such luck a it moves but not working properly.

Care to point me in the right direction to order the parts from?

Keep soaking it in Kroil or WD. Work the ejector in and out until it will move the complete stroke.

Here's the parts.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/194256/savage-arms-ejector-spring-top-loading-all-calibers
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/117919/savage-arms-ejector-top-loading-all-calibers
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/782010/savage-arms-ejector-retaining-pin-top-loading-all-calibers

jookUpVandetti
05-12-2013, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

BillPa
05-12-2013, 11:32 PM
Order the parts directly from Savage, its cheaper.

Ejector 100129 $3.00
Spring - ejector 100131 $2.00

My last order for 3 ejectors, 3 ejector springs and 3 extractors including shipping ($6.00) was 33 bucks.

Bill

bodywerks
05-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Are you a licensed gunsmith? I believe those are gunsmith-only parts.

yobuck
05-13-2013, 10:22 AM
the fix is one thing and the problem could be another. or what caused the problem.
blown primers when testing hot loads are not all that uncommon. thats not to imply its a normal thing however
and it should raise a stop sign when it happens. factory ammo is a different issue in my opinion.
whats hot with some brand of cases might not be as hot with others. of coarse thats a debatable issue also.
id personaly not be using any of those rounds in that gun.
for what its worth i personaly wont use any case with rem. on the head.

dolomite_supafly
05-13-2013, 10:37 AM
the fix is one thing and the problem could be another. or what caused the problem.
blown primers when testing hot loads are not all that uncommon. thats not to imply its a normal thing however
and it should raise a stop sign when it happens. factory ammo is a different issue in my opinion.
whats hot with some brand of cases might not be as hot with others. of coarse thats a debatable issue also.
id personaly not be using any of those rounds in that gun.
for what its worth i personaly wont use any case with rem. on the head.

I guess the 5K (conservative estimate) of Remington I have loaded should have ended in catastrophic failure long ago. I see absolutely no problems with Remington, even when loaded HOT, now Federal I would tend to agree with. Federal is soft in the case head and after 1, and definitely 2, loadings that are warm the primer pockets are really loose.

For "budget" brass Winchester is some of the best and Remington is second. Federal isn't even budget brass, it is junk brass and anytime I reload it I leave it at the range.

BillPa
05-13-2013, 10:37 AM
I believe those are gunsmith-only parts.

They're not restricted parts. All you only need to go online, enter the action's S/N and place the order.

Are you a licensed gunsmith?

Not any longer, gave up my FFL in 1996.

Bill