PDA

View Full Version : Varmint stock options for 111 Long action with DBM and side bolt release ?

Westcliffe01
05-12-2013, 07:17 PM
After a bit of a search, I finally located a donor 270Win Model 111 to use for a 6.5x284 build. The one I have has a light synthetic stock with a DBM. I would like to get a laminate varmint style stock, like what I have on my short action rifles, as a counterbalance for the 26" varmint barrel. I know how unwieldy a Remington 700 SPS is with the varmint barrel and tupperware stock, so that is certainly not what I'm after.

I have looked at Stockys and Boyds and for whatever reason they do not seem to cater for the long action Savage rifles. From what I can gather, the Stevens and Savage long actions are identical regarding action screw spacing. Specifically, there does not seem to be anything made for the Savage detachable magazines ?

Is there something obvious I am missing ?

So far the best thing I have found is this hogue stock at Midway.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/152397/hogue-overmolded-rifle-stock-savage-110-series-long-action-detachable-magazine-varmint-contour-full-bed-rubber-black
According to the description, it has a full bedding block. The inletting is for varmint barrels, so it "should" balance properly ? Anyone have feedback on this one ?

Maztech89
05-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Boyd's offers 3 different styles for long action detachable box mag. Unfortunately only with a factory sporter contour channel but that's easy as can be to fix. I would never buy one of those hogue stocks for the money their asking, but that's just me. If they took the 1 out of front of the price tag I would consider it but for 190 bones you can have a nice laminate stock, buy the tools to open channel, buy Devon and pillars and have a stock better than the aluminum block. Not saying the blocks are bad, just IMO not the same as a true bedding job.

Westcliffe01
05-13-2013, 12:39 PM
So when Boyds says bottom release, they are referring to the magazine release and not the bolt release ? I know that the new Savage rifles have the bolt release on the front of the trigger guard and I thought thats what they were referring to ?

When I looked at Stockys, their laminate stocks were all priced higher than the hogue stock with bedding block. That seems a bit ridiculous.

Maztech89
05-13-2013, 06:49 PM
My apologies, I spoke too soon as I forgot the side bolt release part. Give them a call they're very knowledgable and have actual shooters taking the calls, may be able to help you out. Again, my apologies.

Westcliffe01
05-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Midway got the hogue stocks in today, so I got one. Apparently supply on these is no issue right now. They had none on backorder. This should be a drop in for my application (varmint barrel). If I need to tune the balance I will add some lead shot and epoxy to the end of the stock. I think this stock should be very similar to my factory 10PC stock and I think that one is fine. I might have to paint it since black is not my favorite color...

EOD350
05-15-2013, 10:33 AM
I recently encountered the same issue. HS Precision makes a stock at Stocky's and Choate makes one. I chose the Choate from Tactical Works. I have another of their stocks and it works well.

Westcliffe01
05-15-2013, 06:39 PM
I got the hogue stock today. One day ahead of schedule, it can only be Midway... Everything dropped in, fitted perfect. Its my first hogue stock, it looks like an aluminum chassis that is rubber covered ? I can see aluminum all the way to the front of the fore end. Now just waiting on the new barrel and another Warne rail. I will probably bed the action in the stock once I have the barrel.

BWB
05-22-2013, 04:56 PM
So when Boyds says bottom release, they are referring to the magazine release and not the bolt release ? I know that the new Savage rifles have the bolt release on the front of the trigger guard and I thought thats what they were referring to ?

When I looked at Stockys, their laminate stocks were all priced higher than the hogue stock with bedding block. That seems a bit ridiculous.

Savage made an older model DBM that had the Mag release on the side of the rifle. All the new DBM's have the Mag release on the bottom in front of the Mag. So "Bottom Release" is referring to the Mag release on the bottom in front of the Mag. Just an FYI, in case anyone else is wondering.

Westcliffe01
05-22-2013, 07:20 PM
The hogue stock fitted the side bolt release action just fine. I really would have preferred a laminated stock for the extra weight, but couldn't find one anywhere. I am going to have to see how the balance works out. If front heavy, I will have to figure out how to get some lead shot and epoxy into the butt area to counterbalance. Just waiting on the barrel right now.

rmdailey
06-03-2013, 10:25 PM
The hogue stock fitted the side bolt release action just fine. I really would have preferred a laminated stock for the extra weight, but couldn't find one anywhere. I am going to have to see how the balance works out. If front heavy, I will have to figure out how to get some lead shot and epoxy into the butt area to counterbalance. Just waiting on the barrel right now.

How are you liking the Hogue Aluminum Block Stock? I'm planing on getting one for my 111 30-06. I'll upgrade to a varmint barrel at a latter date. Is is stiff enough for a bipod? Will you also bed the action? You are the only person I've seen that actually has one. If and when you paint it I'd like to know how the paint hows up on the rubberized stock.

Westcliffe01
06-03-2013, 11:05 PM
Sorry, still waiting on the barrel to come in.... The bedding block seems to extend from the trigger hand grip area all the way forward to the sling swivel on the fore end. Seems pretty rigid to me. Just have to see how it balances since it is lighter than a wood stock.

yobuck
06-04-2013, 07:39 AM
richards microfit stocks in ca. offers a full range of wood stocks. i put one on a model 12 varmit and its very attractive.
multi color laminates with lots of choices.