PDA

View Full Version : Help. What am I doing wrong

Pages : 1 [2]

Tack
06-20-2013, 08:27 AM
Got a new trigger installed in my axis today and first group of three measured up at .527 of an inch at a hundred yards. I knew it could shoot, but now I know I can shoot it. (And the scope was tightened)

fgw_in_fla
06-20-2013, 09:11 AM
I don't know..... This rifle has given you a lot of trouble & will probably continue to give you trouble. You might as well save yourself the aggravation & send it to me. You won't be bothered by it any longer.....

By the way, if you decide to keep it because it shoots OK now, you'll be required to put up a few photos of the gun & targets.

fgw_in_fla
06-20-2013, 09:13 AM
That happens to those of use that can't leave well enough alone.... I have never done anything like that.

I think someone sneaked into my house & loosened the scope on me. Probably the "Midnight Scope Loosener"...... I hear he's on the loose again.

Tack
06-21-2013, 01:00 AM
Thanks fgw for the offer to take it off my hands but I don't think it would get through customs at either end and then neither of us would have it. Another question, I have reloaded 48 gr of W760 behind 140gr Barnes TSX and when I shake loaded case, I can't hear the powder move. Is this what's considered a compressed load and is it safe? It's within load data but I'm a bit uneasy.
Tack

fgw_in_fla
06-21-2013, 02:29 AM
The Hodgdon site shows 43.5 to 46.0 of W760 used with a 140gr bullet. My Lyman manual doesn't list a 140gr but under the 139gr it shows 43.0 to 48.0 for W760.

I'm not a big fan of compressed loads. I try not to use more powder than what's necessary for accuracy. I do occasionally find long bullets will not allow the powder to move when shaken. The 180gr / .308 Nosler BT's I use sit pretty deep into the case. With the powder charge well under maximum, it still slightly "compresses" the powder. But it's not considered a compressed load.
Depending on which manual you use, it could be compressed. Either way, it looks to be near maximum according to the 2 manuals I listed.

Most manuals will show where the load becomes compressed. Which one are you using?

Tack
06-21-2013, 02:50 AM
I'm going out of the 'Nick Harvey's practical reloading manual' . It's an Aussie Bloke who's probably the closest thing we have to Chuck Hawks. It says from 42.5 to 49 gr with Win 760 for a max of 2900 fps. So my load is under that but still makes me nervous. I've only got twelve of these projectiles so I don't want to waste them.

fgw_in_fla
06-21-2013, 07:48 AM
I can understand being a bit nervous. That's running right at maximum. Makes it a little rough on the brass. Whatever you decide, be careful. Don't forget your eye protection, ear protection..... Maybe a suit of armor?..... Stand behind a concrete block wall & pull the trigger with a string?....

Tack
06-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Oh... I was going to wear a shirt but the rest is going a bit to far...although, I have started using ear protection. The ringing makes it hard to sleep. A good change from the voices though. And I've found that getting the bags up to a comfortable height so that the butt seats nice into my shoulder makes a difference too. 7-08 is not like a rimfire that you can position anywhere and not feel recoil.