PDA

View Full Version : Axis 243 Feeding Problum

jalmeter29
05-11-2013, 11:15 PM
Whats going on here? Savage Axis 243.

http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w667/jalmeter/2013-05-11225958_zpsf4dc590c.jpg

Not every time but at least once a magazine when cambering a round it "jams" just stops right there. Feeding slow makes it happen more often but still will happen when doing it fast "with authority".

What do you think is going on here?
What should I do?

thomae
05-12-2013, 07:41 AM
Not sure what's going on, but here are some of the things I would check (in no particular order).

Try some different cartridges. Do you have any factory ammo? Does it feed any better? If so, it could be a problem with your handloads and how you are sizing them.

I would take your bolt out and really clean the chamber and the bolt face (extractor and ejector), as well as the inside of the action.

Are there any marks on the brass that would indicate a burr or something in the chamber?

When a round gets stuck like that, and you take it out, can you then chamber it by pushing it in with your finger? If so, then it could be some sort of alignment problem between bolt, magazine and chamber.

Is your magazine fully and completely seated/latched in?

Are your action screws tight?

Did you always have this problem or did it start at some time. If so, what did you do just before it started? (repair the rifle, replace the barrel, change your reloads, ...those sorts of things.)

I can't remember if a short action cartridge in an axis has a front bolt baffle with an extension. (I only have a .223 - it does)
Is the baffle twisted 180 degrees out and would that affect functioning? (I'll be honest: I'm too lazy to go downstairs and pull my axis apart to look at this right now. I haven't even had my second cup of coffee.)

fgw_in_fla
05-12-2013, 09:27 AM
thomae, I'm really glad you asked all of that. I'm too tired to type that much this morning....

Also: Are you reloading? Is that neck sized brass? factory?

A wee bit more pertinent info would be in order, please...

Happy Mother's Day, y'all.

jalmeter29
05-12-2013, 01:47 PM
1. this will jam with Remington 80gr soft points. jammed with federal 80sp. jams with 87gr v-max hand loads.

2. clean still does it.

3. marks yes there is marks see pictures. after multiple feedings marks on bullet and case. see picture
http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w667/jalmeter/2013-05-12134330_zps3c7c7beb.jpg

4. bullet can be fed in by hand easy. its not a cambering problem just a feeding problem. case gets jammed on its way in must release foreword presser on bolt backup a little than push foreword again and its fine. if i press foreword aggressive when it stops it will feed but that's where all the case marks came from.

5. mag seems fine. will not jam form single feeding.

6. action screws are tight

7. no changes to gun stock from day one. only 30rd through the gun

8. is this the baffle? see picture . tried it ether way still does it.
http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w667/jalmeter/2013-05-12134353_zpsf1646092.jpg

thomae
05-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Sounds like your magazine is either just a bit low, or the feed lips are slightly too close together, thus not allowing the back of the cartridges to "pop up" or "release" soon enough.
Have you ever had the magazine apart? could the spring be put in backwards?

I don't have a definite answer for you, but am trying to ask all the questions I would ask if this were happening to me.

Before you tweak your magazine lips, please let's lets someone smarter than I am chime in and either confirm my guess (it is only a guess, after all) or tell you that I'm way off the mark.

Do you know anyone else with an Axis with whom you can swap magazines to test? If their magazine works, and your's does not, that pretty much narrows down the problem quickly.

jalmeter29
05-12-2013, 06:58 PM
Haven't taken that one apart. The middle does seem really tight. Will a mag from a 270 be the same size? I got a friend with one of those. And I also have a 223 , that will be to short.

thomae
05-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Haven't taken that one apart. The middle does seem really tight. Will a mag from a 270 be the same size? I got a friend with one of those. And I also have a 223 , that will be to short.270 mag will be longer. .223 is the same length, but you can't feed .243 from it. Do you know anyone with a .308-based Axis? (.243, 7mm-08, .308, etc...) those all use the same short magazine and you could feed a .243 cartridge from it.

Cmeplay13
08-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Did you get your problem solved? I have a 243 that does the same thing. Any help would be great.

deaddeerwalking
08-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Did you get your problem solved? I have a 243 that does the same thing. Any help would be great.

Me Too

deaddeerwalking
08-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Ok, so I was having the same problem. Periodically cases would not feed into the chamber. Had to back up the bolt slightly , then they would feed fine. So, what I did was bend the front lips of the Mag open about .010 " . got better was was still jamming when i got down to the last round. I bent the lips open another .010" and that did the trick.

randyjrr
08-03-2013, 07:31 PM
I have a 30.06 that does the same thing. When cambering a round the bolt must be slightly reversed halfway through, in order to feed correctly. I've had this rifle a little over a year now and have only fired maybe 30 rounds through it. After my trip to the range, the shot groups were great (for me) but the flex of the stock and feeding problems have moved it into the rear of the gun safe. Since Savage still has these on the market, someone will eventually stamp out a aftermarket stock. I have seen all the video's and instructions on stiffening but, the only way to "fix" the problem is going to be replace the stock. I can be patient. As far as the feeding I had always suspected the magazine, just hadn't taker her back out again to tweak.

n4ue
08-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Look at the tips of the bullets. Mag must not be 'presenting' the bullet to the chamber correctly, which in turn is causing the ctg rim/boltface to misalign...

Just my opinion....

ron