PDA

View Full Version : Model 11 upgrading

axio
01-27-2010, 05:10 AM
Hi, I had a question... I have a model 11, the sporter package purchased from the local Big5. I've already ditched the scope and put on a SS 10X40 with Burris rings. A Sharp Shooter Supply Competition trigger replaced the pre-accutrigger trigger. For the stock, i've filled the channels in the original tupperware with JB Weld, and free-floated the barrel using a Dremel.

I didn't know much about rifles at all when i bought this a few months back, and unfortunately this has a sporter barrel on it. I would like to upgrade to a varmint rifle as I'm mainly just shooting off a bench and don't have any current intention to hunt. My question is if I was to order a Sharp Shooter Supply barrel, would this barrel fit in the original Model 11 stock or would I need to upgrade this as well?

Also, is a Sharp Shooter Supply varmint barrel still considered a heavy barrel?

Thanks, I really appreciate your advice...

dfrosch
01-27-2010, 07:24 AM
Welcome to the forum.

A varmint contour is kinda heavy and you would need to upgrade the stock or open up the barrel channel.

Good luck,
Dana

GaCop
01-27-2010, 07:54 AM
The factory tupperware has got to go if you upgrade to a varmint weight barrel. Check out the B&C Duramaxx, it's an economical stock that is far better than the factory one. The Duramaxx may shoot well unbedded but, for best accuracy, you'll probably end up glass bedding it and floating the tang on the Stevens receiver.

Also look at the B&C Medalist, a bit more expensive but a better stock overall than the Duramaxx.

82boy
01-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Your model 11 is an excellent start, nothing wrong with it, and you will not find a better Savage action. If you want a barrel that is in a "Sporter" contour SSS can do that, it cost a bit more to have the barrel turned down. SSS can do different contours of barrels, but majority of there, and other makers keep the contour close to the factory Savage "Varminter" specks.

Your factory stock can be opened up to except a varminter contour barrel, but why bother when people will dang near give away a Factory plastic varminter stock. Yes a varminter profile is on the heavy barrel side of thing.

spaniel
01-27-2010, 03:02 PM
I don't think there would be much left of that crappy stock once you open the channel up for a varmint barrel. You are much better off to upgrade it.

I went with an HS Precision Varmint stock.

axio
01-28-2010, 03:33 AM
Thanks, guys. It has a detachable centerfeed magazine, and when i measured it, I'm pretty sure the distance between the center of the receiver bolts was 4 3/8". I was therefore contemplating the Choate Tactical DBM stock since it works with the DBM. I think this stock should fit.

Is that stock a good choice? Good quality? I read a review on Midwayusa that the bipod adapter just slides around on the bottom rail and there's no way to lock it down. Is this a bad thing?

Also, my stock barrel is a .308 sporter. I was contemplating getting the same caliber but in the varmint barrel. Any reason I should pick a Shilen over a SSS or vice versa, or is either choice a great choice?

725franky
01-28-2010, 11:48 AM
You might not need to replace the barrel you have; a lot of savage factory barrels shoot very well.

Blue Avenger
01-28-2010, 11:52 AM
SSS uses a lot of Douglas, but like any smith they can use any other brand and can guide you on what has worked in the past and what is currently working well.

rinodods
01-28-2010, 01:08 PM
That choate stock is nice but seems very heavy. My 260 with the varmint barrel in that stock comes in at nearly 15lbs. I'm sure I will ditch it in favor of something else in the future.