PDA

View Full Version : Need experienced advice please.

Trapper
05-11-2013, 10:12 AM
I am already reloading cartridges in the .223, 6.5 grendel, 30/06 and several pistol calibers. Now I am a proud owner of a Savage Striker in .260 Remington and I am totally lost. I love the 6.5 caliber as my grendel is something special in it's own right, but I have no clue how to load for a 14" barrel and get the most in the way of accuracy and performance. There is a lot of information in the reloading manuals for loading the .260 but they are done using a 22"-24" barrel depending on manual. I need information from guys that reload for the Striker as to how to find a starting point with powders like 4350, 4831 and 4895 to work in the 14" barrel.
My pistol is a Savage Striker 510F .260 Remington 14" factory barrel w/ no brake. It has a Burris 2x7 EER scope.
I would appreciate any suggestions for starting loads on anything from 100 grain bullets to the 140 grainers. I have them all because of my 6.5 Grendel and the powders to go with them.
I would also appreciate hearing suggestions as to who is a good pistol smith for trigger and barrel work on this pistol to maximize it's potential as a bench gun. It is just a fun gun for me, but I want it to be at it's best.
Thank you for any suggestions.
Trapper

Jamie
05-11-2013, 09:07 PM
This is how I do mine. I go through a couple load books and match them to the powders I have on hand. If I have any, I try it. Don't get too caught up in the rifle/pistol part, just load for the cartridge. Sure, some of the quicker powder may work better in it, but at the same time it may not give the accuracy you want. If you are loading 4831 then start with what the books tell you and go from there.

Trapper
05-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Thank you for the advice...We need a section for just Striker reloading. :boink:

JASmith
05-16-2013, 06:37 PM
This is how I do mine. I go through a couple load books and match them to the powders I have on hand. If I have any, I try it. Don't get too caught up in the rifle/pistol part, just load for the cartridge. Sure, some of the quicker powder may work better in it, but at the same time it may not give the accuracy you want. If you are loading 4831 then start with what the books tell you and go from there.
Good advice!

Going with the faster powders will help minimize both recoil and muzzle blast.

You can get a feel for how the velocity will change with that short barrel by using the velocity estimator at http://shootersnotes.com/calculator/velocity-estimator/. The velocity loss may not be as much as you might fear.

In any event you should have fun with the project.

Keep us posted on progress!!!

Pilgrim
05-16-2013, 10:33 PM
I have several 14" bbl T/C Contenders. Of course, I don't get the velocity from 14" as I get from a full rifle bbl, but I have not found that I need to do anything different or extraordinary to get useable velocity and accuracy. I dropped a whitetail doe this past fall at 160+ yards with a 14" 357 Herrett. Works for me.

Trapper
05-17-2013, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, I will try and post some results when I get to the range.

TC260
05-17-2013, 10:27 AM
I have several 14" bbl T/C Contenders. Of course, I don't get the velocity from 14" as I get from a full rifle bbl, but I have not found that I need to do anything different or extraordinary to get useable velocity and accuracy.

+1. Ignore the barrel length, load using rifle data. In cases where I've owned both rifles and handguns in the same round, close to the same load ended up performing best in both.

JASmith
05-19-2013, 10:22 PM
You can also go to AR15Buildbox.com to get a 6.5 Grendel Reloading handbook that has a chart that will help -- plus a passle of other good information!