PDA

View Full Version : Trimming Cases Question??.

Predator53
05-10-2013, 07:33 PM
I just started reloading and am doing pretty good....but there's a question,i'd like to ask...is there really a difference if the cases are 5 thousand longer...my cases should be 2.035...but i forgot to trim down 2 of them and primers are set in the cases...2.040...their both at...I'm loading 243..95 gr Ballastic Nosler...38 grains of 4350...i'm setting the OAL at 2.650...I'm also useing CCI 200 primers.....Predator53:confused:

foxx
05-10-2013, 09:51 PM
I am pretty new to handloading, too, but if it were me I would just set those two aside for "foulers" and not worry about it. Next time make sure they are all within +/- .001 or so.

fgw_in_fla
05-10-2013, 10:01 PM
It shouldn't hurt anything, if that's your worry. Worse case - those that are longer / shorted MAY show some difference in accuracy. Personally, I've never really tried testing the difference however, longer neck, more friction to release the bullet, changes in ballistics, blah, blah, blah....

I make it a point to cut all cases to the same length. If for some reason or other I come up with a few that are short, they go in the plinking brass bucket. To be used another time when accuracy is not so critical.

Happy reloading.

jb6.5
05-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Wont hurt a thing, not enough differents to worry about.

IronworksTactical
05-11-2013, 06:55 AM
It shouldn't hurt anything, if that's your worry. Worse case - those that are longer / shorted MAY show some difference in accuracy. Personally, I've never really tried testing the difference however, longer neck, more friction to release the bullet, changes in ballistics, blah, blah, blah....

I make it a point to cut all cases to the same length. If for some reason or other I come up with a few that are short, they go in the plinking brass bucket. To be used another time when accuracy is not so critical.

Happy reloading.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Predator53
05-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Ok thanks fellers....I did trim them up....but had to be careful......thanks again...

jmdmt
11-18-2013, 12:39 AM
just buy the cheep LEE case trimmer and throw all the rest of the junk away. It is so simple you can"t screw it up.

FW Conch
11-18-2013, 10:27 AM
I agree with jmdmt. The Lee trimmer trims the case to minimum specs in a completely consistent manner, and I have never found any disadvantage staying with the minimum speck. Last year I bought an RCBS trimmer from my BIL for $50 but I doubt I will ever use it. It's more trouble, and to many chances to make mistakes. The simple little LEE "ROCKS"! ;-) Thanks......Jim

82boy
11-18-2013, 12:56 PM
On case trimming, it is essential for the utmost in accuracy. It is because of this that many Benchrest shooters will trim there brass between aggs. (5 or so firings.) Constance is key. Overly long necks can cause problems such as case neck splitting, and chambering problems. Most reloading manuals have a measurement for trim length and max length, as this is a good guide to specks, it is not absolute. Best is to know your chamber specks, this is accomplished by either reading the reamer print, casting the chamber, or using a Sinclair neck length gauge.

As far as trimmers go I would go against the others and not recommend the lee trimmer, there are far better trimmers on the market, and they are around the same cost if not cheaper. The possum hollow, little crow and other similar trimmers work of the case shoulder, and it doesn't matter is the case is primed or not. The best lath style trimmer is a Wilson.
here is a couple of links.
https://www.possumhollowproducts.com/KWICK_CASE_TRIMMERS.html
http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html

JCalhoun
11-22-2013, 10:30 PM
I use the Lee trimmer for all my stuff except the .260AI. I use a Forster with pilot for that one.

stimpylu32
11-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Up till now I have used a Forster for all my trimming needs , that being said I am looking real hard at a Little Crow for my 223's , just to speed up the process ( butt loads of 223's to do soon ) and I like the idea of trimmers that index of the shoulder .

As to the ? from the OP , unless you have a very tight BR cut chamber, your fine .

stimpy