PDA

View Full Version : .223 to .308

Corky52
01-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Hi all,

I have a pre-accutrigger Model 12 in .223 with a 26" heavy barrel. I would like a .308. Is it possible to relatively easily convert this rifle or would I be better off selling and buying a Savage .308.

Thanks for any guidance.

Charlie

dcloco
01-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Buy a barrel, bolthead, mag box, and mag follower........and a barrel nut wrench (I like the McRee that Northlander sells).

GaCop
01-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Welcome to the Forums, great bunch of guys and a wealth of Savage knowledge. If you become a paid member, you can recoup some of your conversion expense by listing the 223 barrel and bolthead for sale in the classifieds.

Corky52
01-31-2010, 03:39 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I did some thinking. I really like the Mdl 12 .223 for its accuracy so have decided to keep it, as is. I rolled into my LGS on Friday evening, and bouoght a Mdl 10 PC in .308. Problem solved. I just wound up with one more rifle, but that's not such a bad thing is it?

Anyway, thanks again for the replies. Now to find the proper scope and off to the range.

Charlie

bluealtered
01-31-2010, 08:42 AM
You'll like the 10pc, great rifle. Some like the wedge loose, some leave it tight. Theres a reveiw of the 10pc on the site here. Welcome aboard. blue

fatdaddy
01-31-2010, 12:36 PM
Hey Charlie,
You can never have too many rifles. You always need another. I think its a law... or at least a city ordnance. But seriously, changing barrels\calibers is easy and really cheaper than setting up a new gun. Thats after you have a min. of 4 savages complete.... A stash of barrels is alot easier to hide if a loved one questions just how many rifles you have. Bill

olsmokey
01-31-2010, 05:45 PM
Somewhere on this sight there is posted a chart that lists the case head size if you want to change calibers without modifying the bolt. Can someone point me in the right direction? thanks Dave

Blue Avenger
01-31-2010, 09:02 PM
FAQ at the top of the center fire section

lomfs24
01-31-2010, 11:59 PM
One can have too many dogs, but you can't have too many guns. As fatdaddy pointed out it is a law in some states that you have to buy one a month. ??? Or is that you can only buy one a month. I don't remember...

Corky52
02-01-2010, 09:49 AM
One can have too many dogs, but you can't have too many guns. As fatdaddy pointed out it is a law in some states that you have to buy one a month. ??? Or is that you can only buy one a month. I don't remember...

I'm a little fuzzy on the rules, too. If it's only once a month, I'm in deep kimchee. I'm up to 2 shotguns and a rifle for January. :o Got a few dogs too. Nothing new though. I decided to keep the Mdl 12, I like the way it shoots. It is a true tack driver. Now with the 10PC in .308, I can get barrels for calibers that fit the .223 and .308 boltheads, yes? With the barrel only, it's just replace it and set the headspace? Maybe have to swap out the magazine guts? Wow, many rifles out of one. That is truly the American way!

This is really a great place. We just need a virtual pot belly stove, a few virtual overstuffed chairs and some virtual coffee (or scotch). Then it'd be like the hardware store in the town I grew up in many years ago. (Except that was all real!) ;D

Thanks, everyone for the advice. Now I just hope the spouse doesn't claim the new rifle to be "her rifle"! ;)

You all have a great day!

Charlie
Qui desiderat pacem, preparet bellum ~ ????? ????

"The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. Samuel Adams (1722-1803)

Blue Avenger
02-01-2010, 01:29 PM
were here for ya! If women don't find ya handsome,they should find you handy! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/19581ME-1.jpg

Corky52
02-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I'm handy. But I refuse to repaint the stock in pink digital! LOL