PDA

View Full Version : Menace "Falcon" 4x14FFP

Deserthunter
01-26-2010, 08:17 PM
About a year ago I bought a Falcon Menace 4x14FFP modified mil-dot scope. I was wondering if there were any other "front focal plane" scopes, besides the NightForce, that are available, at a reasonable price..... I've found this to be a wonderful scope, learning how to use the Mil-dot has been a lot of fun, even though I have a Leupold Range Finder, seeing how close I can come is fun and challenging. The scope is very clear, no distortion, tracks well. The knobs are a little stiff and aren't as positive as I'd like, but in all other respects, especially for 1/3 the price of a NightForce, I'm very very happy with it.... I was wondering if anyone else has purchased one of these scopes and what kind of luck they've had with it.....

pa hog
01-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Vortex just came out with a FFP Reticle on their Viper PST line due out late spring.

http://www.vortextactical.com/category/products

geargrinder
01-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Here's some more. Some are more reasonable than others. ;D

Weaver, IOR, Leupold, USO, Super Sniper, Hensoldt, Premier, S&B, Counter Sniper, Barska, Kahles, Swarovski, Meopta, Zeiss, Horus

Deserthunter
01-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks - geargrinder

I didn't realize the Leupold had FFP scopes, I looked them up on their web site, nice.... At $1.5k+- (street) the price is a little over my head , I didn't notice is the reticule etched? I knew IOR, S&B, Swarovski, Zeiss and Horus had them.... For some reason I thought Horus did something different, they stopped putting their reticule in other glass a few years ago.... Is the FFP a new development for many of the manufactures, not NF? It seems to me that barring the high dollar glass that there hasn't been many to choose from over the years.... Maybe I just didn't look that well....

geargrinder
01-26-2010, 11:34 PM
Actually, Nightforce is the newest out of the bunch to offer FFP.

Most of the others have been doing them for quite a while.

Really looking forward to the Vortex and Weavers. I really miss my old Weaver FFP tactical. Hope the new ones are half as good.

jmg8550
02-14-2010, 11:08 AM
How do you like the Falcon scope? I can't seem to find much feedback except for the pre-production reviews.

geargrinder
02-14-2010, 01:11 PM
How do you like the Falcon scope? I can't seem to find much feedback except for the pre-production reviews.

Snipers Hide has a bunch of reviews of the Falcon Menace. Most are very positive. The most common complaint is that the clicks on the turrets are not as crisp and audible as higher priced scopes. Even then the consensus is that it is good for the money.

Galveston22
02-25-2010, 09:04 PM

Weaver, IOR, Leupold, USO, Super Sniper, Hensoldt, Premier, S&B, Counter Sniper, Barska, Kahles, Swarovski, Meopta, Zeiss, Horus

Deserthunter
02-26-2010, 12:31 AM
So far it's been a great scope....... The only complaint, the turrets are quite "tight"..... Harder to turn than I'd like. As far as the glass and construction, very good....

I'd never used a FFP scope before, I bought this because I didn't want to spend $1.5k and then find out that I didn't like the NightForce.... I'm very impressed with the scope, with the one exception....I'm not certain if the turrets will ease up as I use the scope more...The clicks seem very positive, just "tight".....

rjtfroggy
02-26-2010, 08:41 AM
SWFA SS3-9x42 ffp $599, sample list (it is a store demo) $549. Some say for half the price it out does most other high end scopes.

geargrinder
02-26-2010, 09:12 PM

Why cross out Counter Sniper and Barska?

Have you used them and found them lacking? Give us a report.

Deserthunter
02-26-2010, 10:43 PM
What kind of review have the Horus Scopes gotten? Are they all FFP? I really like their reticules, a lot..... Takes two shots to kill, but if you do your job, you have a hard time missing with the second round? Are the reticules being used by the military? If so, what scope are they being installed in? If I remember, didn't you use to be able to have one of there reticules installed you your scope... (Leupold, etc.)?

Lots of questions......

Galveston22
02-27-2010, 12:05 AM
The Counter Sniper is a gimmick.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1301952
http://opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11448&PN=1

Barska is chinese junk.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1576521
http://www.opticsplanet.com/msgboard/about9-1318.html

Deserthunter
02-27-2010, 07:09 AM
I purchased the Menace "Falcon" 4x14FFP about a year ago, is this the same scope as the "Counter Sniper" that's a piece of @Q@%%???? I don't seem to see the 4x14FFP in the "Counter Sniper" line up of scopes and the reticule is nothing like any of the "Counter Sniper" scopes... Are we talking about two different Companies... I've seen reviews of the 4x14FFP that are very favorable.... This scope was manufactured in England, if I'm not mistaken?

Can someone clear this up for me?

Thanks,

geargrinder
02-27-2010, 12:28 PM
They are different companies.

Counter Sniper and Barska are the low end of the FFP scopes.

Deserthunter
02-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Clear as mud, but it covers the ground, lol...... So the "Falcon" 4x14FFP has nothing to do with the "Counter Sniper" is that correct?

The "Falcon" although not expensive (if i remember, somewhere around $450 i think), after ready ALL the reviews I could and talking to a number of people, it seems to be a very good purchase, especially for the bucks.... I doubt I could have made a better choice to learn to use the FFP reticule..... Of coarse, I'm learning, now, that there was a much wider selection than I thought there was. One thing I worry about, is "service", I don't know how strong the "warranty" really is.....

On a slightly different subject, does Horus offer there reticules intalled in other scopes, still? And would it be worth it, does anyone have the Horus reticule?

Thanks.......

Thanks geargrinder........