PDA

View Full Version : Rem/Age set up

Pages : [1] 2

EOD350
05-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Looking in to swaping out a remington barrel and am interested in the Rem/Age set up. Anyone on here have experience with that set up? Appreciate the replys.

northlander
05-09-2013, 04:22 PM
The Rem/Age system is our product line. If you would like to ask any questions you can contact me on my direct line - 763/682-4296.
I do have some referral names that I can share but I will not post this information out of respect of my customers.

Jim Briggs
NSS

scope eye
05-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Remage barrels set up also known as Savingtons. LOL
I have two of them a 22-250 and a 338 Edge and both perform flawlessly,
in the beginning I got them just to piss off the Remington purists, but they shoot so well that I'm just glad I have them,
my favorite is "that's a disgrace putting a barrel nut on Remington" Well Well Well looky here what Remington is producing,
a 700 with a barrel nut, If you can't beat em join em.

Dean

Bradley Walker
05-09-2013, 04:51 PM
The Remington prefit is the greatest thing to come along in forever...

No gunsmith needed, drop in barrels. They shoot the same as shouldered barrels.

The Criterion is top notch and there are lots of other companies getting into these prefits. I think it is great!!! Jim is a great guy and sells great products!! I like the way he thinks...

My latest prefit had a point of aim within an inch of the shouldered barrel made by one of the best smiths in the country... That means it is square. Enough said.

You might check out this thread:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?24326-Remington-700-6BR-F-Class-Rifle-Prototype-Rock-Creek-Prefit

and this one:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?23816-Tell-me-why-this-won-t-work-barrels-with-the-nut

Bradley Walker
05-09-2013, 04:57 PM
in the beginning I got them just to piss off the Remington purists, but they shoot so well that I'm just glad I have them

No more waiting a year for a barrel or shipping your receiver back and forth... Screw all that...

You will need to relieve the stock for the nut.

03mossy
05-09-2013, 09:42 PM
My main prairie dog rifle is a 700 22-250 that is more than likely on its last season if the stats about barrel life are true and I am looking forward to switching out to one of Jims barrels.

fgw_in_fla
05-11-2013, 09:13 AM
I would appreciate it if y'all would not use the "R" word in my presence....

Even though the concept is pretty interesting.
And Dean, I like Savington better than the Remage label. Nicely done.

masterblaster
05-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Remage sounds a little foo foo. I have a 300 mag tube for my Savage on order with Jim, he is a dam nice guy and will give you all the details and answer any question you might have. Had to order the 300 mag barrel because I wanted a bull in 28 inches long, wanted an artillery piece just for fun. Cant wait to get it mounted. Jim also has the barrel wrench and lugs, everything you need actually.

Berniep
05-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Remage sounds a little foo foo. I have a 300 mag tube for my Savage on order with Jim, he is a dam nice guy and will give you all the details and answer any question you might have. Had to order the 300 mag barrel because I wanted a bull in 28 inches long, wanted an artillery piece just for fun. Cant wait to get it mounted. Jim also has the barrel wrench and lugs, everything you need actually.

Yea I prefer to think of it as a savington

BRIAN G
05-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Someone once told me that there is no way you will spin off a factory 700 barrel without taking it to a smith. Did I get some bad info?
I have an action wrench and a vice.

scope eye
05-20-2013, 05:01 PM
Someone once told me that there is no way you will spin off a factory 700 barrel without taking it to a smith. Did I get some bad info?
I have an action wrench and a vice.

I have never been able to get a factory barrel off and I have all the tools needed, I don't even want to know how the smith does it.

Dean

trailrider121
05-20-2013, 05:39 PM
I have removed only one Remington barrel. I must say it was a tough one to remove. I had built barrel block out of oak wood, that was mounted on my metal transmission stand. Steel plate on both sides so I can really hold it tight. It took all of my weight (188lbs) on the action wrench. It made a big snap and came loose. Doable though...

dwt
05-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Not that hard with a good bbl vise , I did not have one on my first two , I will have for the next one !

masterblaster
05-20-2013, 09:37 PM
I ordered the whole kit from Jim, barrel vice, nut, and lug for my Rem build (barrel from Rock Creek) as well as the Savage 300 WM build I have going on at the same time. I also got this tool that holds the lug in place while you tighten the barrel nut, I didn't like the idea of cutting into my action.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Recoil-Lug-Alignment-Tool-for-Remington-or-Savage-/261079859406?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc99280ce

Bradley Walker
05-21-2013, 11:02 AM
I have never been able to get a factory barrel off and I have all the tools needed, I don't even want to know how the smith does it.

Dean

You need HEAT. The barrels from the factory are Red Loctited in place. So you will need to get the Loctite heated to the point the adhesion breaks free. It takes several minutes of direct heat.. (maybe like 10-15 minutes) with a propane torch to get the Loctite to break. You will know when the Loctite is burning when it starts to smoke...

Bobby Bailey
05-21-2013, 09:46 PM
I've never used heat on a Remington Barrel/action and have never had one not come loose. The trick is a proper wrench and vise.
Bobby

jonbearman
06-02-2013, 01:12 PM
The only barrels I have had trouble with were mauser as they are much like a class 3 fit almost an interference fit on some.Heat will cure your ills as the winchesters can be the same way with loctite and the propane is plenty of heat to remove red loctite.

Appleseed
06-04-2013, 08:17 AM
There was a great post with plenty of pics here a couple months ago, I can't find it now. Rem/Age onto a xp100 action. Jim is a gentleman, great to deal with.

This is Topstrap's post on Specialty Pistol

http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/2180065166

fngmike
06-06-2013, 03:20 PM
You need HEAT. The barrels from the factory are Red Loctited in place. So you will need to get the Loctite heated to the point the adhesion breaks free. It takes several minutes of direct heat.. (maybe like 10-15 minutes) with a propane torch to get the Loctite to break. You will know when the Loctite is burning when it starts to smoke...

I agree with this. This is how my friend has been removing Remington barrels for the last twenty years although I'm not sure if it's Loctite or what. He usually uses a torch suited for silver soldering and heats the barrel, NOT the receiver.

masterblaster
06-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the info gents.