PDA

View Full Version : Simmons Scope

gerard488
05-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Simmons 6-21 x 44, Anyone here use one? Are they any good? Would this be a good 200-300 yard scope for a 223?
Thanks in advance,, G

jalmeter29
05-11-2013, 10:30 PM
I haven't used that scope. My bro had a Simmons 8-point 3-9x40 and had no trouble hitting milk jugs at 375yards 9x power with a 243 sav axis. hold over or counting clicks. So I would think that would be pretty good for a 223. midway has the Simmons whitetail classic on sale for 100 that would be good too.

bootsmcguire
05-11-2013, 11:28 PM
I have had several, and currently shoot with a 6-18x40 and a 6-24x40, and they all have held zero and adjusted properly and are pretty clear. I have an 8-point 3-9x40 on my 20ga slug gun it has stood up to that punishment with no issues so far. That 8 point is not the clearest scope I own by a long shot, but for 75yd-100yd shots on deer it does just fine.

I like the 6-18 and 6-24 power ranges for most of my shooting from 100 yards on out. lets you go fairly low, and yet gets you close enough to get exact for most general shooting.

Some people say that Simmons are nothing but trouble, me I have had great luck with them. Now BSA on the other hand, there's some junk.

Texas Solo
05-14-2013, 11:57 AM
I ran a Simmons 6.5-20x44 Mag for many years without issue, mostly 200yd. varmint hunting. After 15 years and being moved to 3 different rifles, the elevation adjustment finally died. I gave it to a buddy to mess with. He sent it off, and Simmons (Bushnell) is replacing it at N/C with a 6-21x44 mag with the same 1/8 MOA adjustments, SF and target turrets. I guess I got my original $99 worth :)

big honkin jeep
05-14-2013, 12:57 PM
I for one have never had good luck with a Simmons. Though I ave never bought one new I have owned several that came on trades and used rifles and on a couple of these found that if the original owner had bothered to try a different optic they probably would have been happy with their rifle and I wouldn't have gotten a great deal on em. I did have a 3-10x44 that held zero till I got rid of it but it wouldn't allow me to shoot even nearly point blank during first or last legal hunting hours. Watching a big buck that I could see with my naked eye pass 30 minutes before sunrise and not being able to put the crosshairs on him is a heck of a way to find out. I have never looked through any super cheap optic with that much magnification that would be clear enough to use on the higher settings either.
If you plan on simply blasting at the range during the middle of the day they may or may not work for you.
In my opinion if you spend the money on a low end Leupold rifleman or maybe a Burris Fullfield 2 in a useable magnification range you would be much better served and happier in the long run. Here's an example of lower end scopes that I have used that offer your moneys worth http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Burris-Fullfld-II-45x-14x42mm-Mtte-Blk-200183_p_1490.html or http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Leupold-Rifleman-4-12x40mm-Matte-WideDupl-56170_p_9263.html
If you simply must have the magnification then try this one I dont own this one but have always had great experiences with Burris optics http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Burris-65X-20X50mm-Ballistic-MilDot-Mat-200193_p_513.html
I hate to be negative on products but I have found over the years that there is a certain minimum level it's best not to fall below for usable equipment.

seventeen-age-m-are
05-21-2013, 08:27 AM
I have my second Simmons rimfire scope right now, 3-9 x 32. I really like these scopes, great scope for the money, no problems at all.
You might want to use different rings, but the scope itself is great! Using it on my new 93R17BTVS until I find the right scope for this gun.

maxl
05-22-2013, 10:23 PM
I have a whitetail classic 6.5x20x50 on a T/C Prohunter 243 and it has worked great, 109.00 at midway. I only use it for long range varmit hunting,glass is clear and bright adjustments are repeatable and I would buy another if needed. I'm not sure I would depend on it for a once in a lifetime hunt or shot but for punching paper or varmit hunting they are hard to beat

rug357
06-02-2013, 02:16 AM
Older Simmons AETEC scopes made in the Philippines were great scopes for the money. They were made at the same facility as Nikon Monarch scopes. They were very durable and had very good quality glass. Current AETEC MASTER series are built in China and their quality is nowhere near what they were. I had a new AETEC scope that broke on the first shot I took with a 243 rifle. I sent it in for warranty repair and they just sent me a new Bushnell scope. Simmons used to have Whitetail Expedition series scopes and they were very good scopes too but were discontinued about 10 years ago.

BTW. Simmons and Bushnell are owned by same parent company and are located in same facility.