PDA

View Full Version : Savage Factory Walnut Stocks for 114 to fit 111

Clink
05-06-2013, 09:15 PM
I must be crazy. I called Savage today and ordered a Walnut stock for a 114 that the sales rep said will fit my 111. The crazy part was that they wanted $260 for the stock. Tonight I see that Numrich has the same stock for $84.00.

Am I missing something here? Is Savage known for crazy retail parts prices?

Clink

J.Baker
05-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Nope, not missing anything. Savage sells parts at full MSRP price because they're not really setup for mail order and really don't want to be in the parts business. It's easier and more efficient for them to sell in quantity to a parts house like Numrich's or Brownells than sell 1 or 2 pieces at a time to me or you.

Clink
05-07-2013, 12:33 AM
That's disappointing. They make great products. Great customer service would grow the brand, and increase customer loyalty. I guess they're depending on the product for that.

We'll see what happens when I try to cancel my order in the morning.

J.Baker
05-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Their customer service is great - probably one of the best in the industry, but they're not in the business of being a retailer, they're in the business of being a manufacturer. They prefer to stick with what they do (manufacturing) and let those in the business of retail sales sell their products.

Most every other firearms manufacturer operates in the exact same way. Some might offer a small selection of accessory products for their guns (i.e. Kahr offers holsters and such), but guess what - everything they have on their site is marked way up as they feel that if they're going to engage in retail (something they're not really setup to do) then they're going to make a very high profit margin in the process. Meanwhile you can buy the exact same product for significantly less from a number of various retailers (Midway, Brownells, Mid South, Graf's, etc.).

Clink
05-08-2013, 11:42 PM
MrFurious,

Savage was perfect. They happily cancelled my order.

I am a Customer Satisfaction consultant, and have been for decades. I appreciate great service. Savage earned my respect. I'll be a loyal customer until something changes. Now I just have to pick my next project. I'm thinking .308 Target barrel for F Class.

rmdailey
05-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Clink. Boyd's is now offering the DBM inlet on their stocks the price is competitive with Numrich. I almost ordered that stock for my 111 but am leaning toward a Hogue that can take a varmint contour barrel.

Clink
05-13-2013, 08:14 PM
My stock arrived from Numrich today. Unfortunately it didn't fit the 111. I am sending it back, and ordering the Boyds. I have to admit that Numrichs stock was beautiful. I would have had to order about $40 worth of additional parts to make it fit, plus the gun-smithing to attach them.

I may go Hogue on the .308