PDA

View Full Version : Which 260 barrel for lrp action?

Rlbol
05-06-2013, 10:52 AM
I am looking for a 260 or possible 260 AI barrel for a savage lrp action. I am looking for a flutted heavy varmint profile. So which brand would you suggest? I don't mind spending the money to get a very good barrel! Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Topstrap
05-06-2013, 11:32 PM
We put 28" Shilen Select Match barrels on our model 11 actions but we don't carry them hunting but use them for our local 1000 yard steel plate matches. Exceptionally accurate but not sure they offer a fluted version unless it's ordered. We got our pre-fit barrels from Jim at NSS. You might check with him and see what he has in stock.

Topstrap

bootsmcguire
05-06-2013, 11:49 PM
We put 28" Shilen Select Match barrels on our model 11 actions but we don't carry them hunting but use them for our local 1000 yard steel plate matches. Exceptionally accurate but not sure they offer a fluted version unless it's ordered. We got our pre-fit barrels from Jim at NSS. You might check with him and see what he has in stock.

Topstrap

and if you're already on the phone with Jim, ask him about the CBI barrels and see what he can get you. I have a CBI in 6BR that is a real shooter, and I ordered one for a buddies' 243AI build and its a real shooter too. Great quality, cleans easy, and shoots great. You'll probably have to order the flutes, but I doubt very many off the shelf prefits are going to be available with flutes.

If it were me, and assuming you want the flutes to save weight, I would just order the next lighter contour. Either way, give Jim a call and see what he can do for you.

Rlbol
05-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Thank you
Yes the fluteing is for the weight. I built a couple 700's on APO chassis and they are heavy!

So this build is on a carbon xlr chassis and would like to keep the weight down but still have something with a heavy enough barrel to not worry about hear affects with higher round counts.

bootsmcguire
05-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Me personally, for long range and target work I like my rifles to have the wieght. That's JMHO. However different strokes for different folks. With adding in the fluting you will be waiting awhile, but Shilen or CBI would be great barrels to do that to.

Another thought is to give Devin at www.sin-arms.com a call and see what he can build for you. His wait times are normally less than others, his work is great, and he normally builds barrels using Brux blanks which I have not heard anything but good about. I've never had a Brux so I can't say 1st hand on them, but I do have some of Devin's work and its great.

EOD350
06-12-2013, 03:55 PM
The last time I spoke with Shilen personnel, I was told that they do not / will not flute a barrel. That was a few years ago though.

EOD350
06-12-2013, 03:59 PM
The last time I spoke with Shilen personnel, I was told that they do not / will not flute a barrel. That was a few years ago though.

From the Shilen site:

What about "fluting" a barrel?
Fluting is a service we neither offer nor recommend. If you have a Shilen barrel fluted, the warranty is void. Fluting a barrel can induce unrecoverable stresses that will encourage warping when heated and can also swell the bore dimensions, causing loose spots in the bore. A solid (un-fluted) barrel is more rigid than a fluted barrel of equal diameter. A fluted barrel is more rigid than a solid barrel of equal weight. All rifle barrels flex when fired. Accuracy requires that they simply flex the same and return the same each time they are fired, hence the requirement for a pillar bedded action and free floating barrel. The unrecoverable stresses that fluting can induce will cause the barrel to flex differently or not return from the flexing without cooling down a major amount. This is usually longer than a shooter has to wait for the next shot. The claim of the flutes helping to wick heat away faster is true, but the benefit of the flutes is not recognizable in this regard until the barrel is already too hot.

Rlbol
06-30-2013, 08:41 AM
I have decided to go 260ai provided i can find someone to rechamber a 260 lmt barrel as well.
So which barrel show i get? It is going on a savage lap so I need a large shank. fluting i don't care much about. if it is not available i will go a little lighter contour. So what is the best?I am not so much concerned with price as i am quality. so which brand and model?
thanks again for the advise!

BoilerUP
06-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Price no matter...I'd go with a cut rifled Rock Creek prefit.

For $300, though, you cannot go wrong with a Criterion.

derrelw
06-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Price no matter...I'd go with a cut rifled Rock Creek prefit.

For $300, though, you cannot go wrong with a Criterion.

I agree, or you could go with a Bartlien 5R cut rifled......... you won't be sorry.

stangfish
06-30-2013, 10:07 AM
I have been currious about bartlien since they started supplying Grizzly Tools. Read some things. I have no experience however.