PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle brake - Effect on accuracy

Orange_Crush
05-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Just curious what others think about muzzle brakes and their possible effect on accuracy? Do they enhance accuracy or degrade it?

masterblaster
05-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Will change your zero but I run 4 of them , after re zero I had no effect.I like them, just got two Harrells tacticals installed on by Dennis Adams, in Virginia great guy, great work, very fair pricing.

missed
05-06-2013, 10:53 AM
I have the factory one on my flcpk and its shooting about .4 @100 so I can't complain. I think once zero is set your good to go. I know if the brake loosens up it will jack up your accuracy.

Orange_Crush
05-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I just got a Savage long range hunter with one installed from the factory and was looking for opinions.

Chambered in .260 Remington the initial groups were less than stellar - but not saying it was because of the muzzle brake.

It's only got about 15 rounds down the tube so far.

fgw_in_fla
05-06-2013, 12:52 PM
I had to fine tune loads for my 30.06 & .308 due to muzzle brakes. As for affecting accuracy? I saw no difference. I notice I can get a 2nd & 3rd shot off quicker since I don't need to tie a cement block to the barrel to keep it from jumping....

sharpshooter
05-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Muzzle brakes have no effect on accuracy, but they may have an affect on your friendship with shooters nearby.

fgw_in_fla
05-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Muzzle brakes have no effect on accuracy, but they may have an affect on your friendship with shooters nearby.

At the range on Sunday I had a guy ask me if I was shooting a .50 cal. It was my .308 with a break, The ports are cut so they exit about 45 degrees from where I'm sitting.
Not a good way to make friends but a good way to get some rather peculiar looks the first time you pull the trigger...

bootsmcguire
05-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Shot my 7mm Rem Mag yesterday. It has a radial type brake on it (not sure of the make as it was on this barrel when i bought it). It is very similar to the factory Savage adjustable brakes (except mine isn't adjustable) and the ports are bigger and there is an extra couple of rows over the Savage factory version.

Its been awhile since I have shot it, and I had forgotten how much concussion there is. I could feel it in my chest with each shot. However recoil was minimal (about like a 243) and it shot 3 3-shot groups that were center to center all between .250 and .375. With those results I am betting the brake is not hurting accuracy a bit.