PDA

View Full Version : factory stripped receiver scope base holes

x98myers7
05-06-2013, 08:51 AM
i've spent the past hour searching this topic... i can't believe i'm the only one to have this problem, please feel free to point me to an existing link with info

yesterday I started to install my new talley 1-piece scope base/rings. after taking off the existing worthless factory
rings/bases, I noticed 3 of the 4 scope base holes were completely stripped, or partially cross-threaded. :mad:

I was able to remove the stripped threads from the receiver, clean them up a bit, a tiny bit of red loctite, force in new screws and torque them down. after shooting, it still seems to be holding.

I just bought the rifle in January. brand spanking new. what the heck?! is this a common problem from the factory? based on the fact that the front hole is directly above the barrel and cannot be re-tapped without removing the barrel... it appears I have no choice but to take it all down to a bare receiver, drill and re-tap?

masterblaster
05-06-2013, 09:09 AM
Had same issue, try reaming with a tap, but even if it works you might think about going to the size 8 thread and re-tap the holes, there is probably coating slag in the holes like mine was. This will be in your mind every time you have a bad shot so just go ahead and ream them out to the next size up now, will be stronger anyway.

BillPa
05-06-2013, 01:45 PM
the front hole is directly above the barrel and cannot be re-tapped without removing the barrel

Why? Just use a bottom tap the same as you would tapping/chasing the threads in a blind hole.

Bill.

x98myers7
05-06-2013, 02:31 PM
i'd be concerned with getting enough threads cut to provide sufficient strength. it may be possible.

OLEJOE
05-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Why? Just use a bottom tap the same as you would tapping/chasing the threads in a blind hole.

Bill.

What he said.