PDA

View Full Version : Paint day tomorrow-finally-a couple questions

Bark
01-26-2010, 04:12 AM
Ok,got down the mountain tonight and found most of what I needed.Couldn't locate any web paint but will wait on that.Got lucky and found some colors of Krylon camo(fusion) that I had decided to give a go.Picked up olive,khaki,and black but will probably just hit straight olive untill I can find some of the black lava web.Also picked up a can of the satin clear as they didn't have any matte.Back on point,my old HTG is ready as it's gonna be-roughed to 320 and bedding/butt masked.Question now is how many coats,how long in between coats,and can I clear it all in the same day.Rain/snow here has finally stopped for a couple days and tomorrows temp should be about 55 with fairly high humidity.Don't matter,I'm putting paint on even if a toad strangler blows in.Krylon says dries in 15 min,does this mean I can put another coat on at that time?Also,how many coats are needed to stay the line for a bit.I also picked up some paint thinner to wipe it down before spraying as advised on the can-good idea?As must be obvious by now,other than guncote,I've never put paint on one of my rifles so bear with me on this if you would.So at this point in time I plan on two coats of olive about 20 min apart and the a coat or two of satin clear about 20 min apart.Sound good,not so good,or dumb as a box of rocks?All comments much appreciated here. Thanks, Old Grumpy (just wanna finish this rifle after a year) Bark

HRstretch
01-26-2010, 09:05 AM
I put 4 coats of base on my rifle then 3 coats of clear. But it depends on each gun as to complete coverage and how thick you spray it. Mine were thin light coats. After the 2nd coat you will know if you need more or not. I would also suggest you wear either cotton or surgical gloves as the oil off your hands will show and the paint will bubble or sluff off.

Good luck and you can always sand it off again if you don't like it.

GaCop
01-26-2010, 09:32 AM
To speed up drying time between coats, I hang my stocks over a kerosene heater between coats (watching tupperware ones closely so they don't get too hot).

Bark
01-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Yep,got her painted at my paint tree just before the sky opened up yesterday.Had time for four coats of olive.The clear said a min of 70 degrees on the can so had to wait on that-out of being outside time anyway.Thanks for the replys and the "hang it over the radiator" tip GaCop,exactally what I did,Would not have thought of that had you not mentioned it.I run an oil heater near the kitchen and there was an old eyelet already in a beam overhead to hang it from.One thought,Krylon says to wait 7 days before spraying additional coats if more than 24 hours has passed since the first ones.They also state"chip resistent after 7 days".Does this indicate the paint is actually curing and getting harder for a week after painting?Just wondering and asking those that know paint.That would be good as this rifle see's a lot of rough duty. Regards,Old Grumpy Bark