PDA

View Full Version : New Brass. Need help

Tack
05-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Hi all, I have come in to possession of new in box nosler brass for my new 7mm-08. It states that its ready to load. My question is " is it really ready to load or should I size it first?"

Thanks. Tack

jhelmuth
05-04-2013, 08:14 AM
I wouldn't FL size it - but I would size the necks.

scope eye
05-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Hey Tack Nosler makes nice quality stuff this is what I do, take a few pieces of brass and cycle them though your gun, if they cycle fine your good to go, just cycle them slowly since they do not have a bullet to guide them into the chamber, and so you don't nick they ends.

Tanks Dean

fgw_in_fla
05-04-2013, 08:57 AM
I always run new brass thru the neck sizers. Unless they're packaged individually, there will be case necks that are out of round. Also, I like to put a chamfer on the inside of the case neck. Helps the bullet fall into place easier...

et
05-04-2013, 09:50 AM
I just recently got some of the same brass. Been very happy with the initial results from it but I would agree and neck size the brass. There was a few, but not many, that had out of round necks. It was nice that the necks were chamfered and the flash holes were all de-burred. The primer pockets were a little tight too but its better than being loose.

Tack
05-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Thanks guys, neck sized them and loaded a few for a try tomorrow. Primers were very hard to seat but that's a good thing i guess. Weighed them and found up to a grain difference in a hundred. Sorted then into two groups. Don't know if its worth it but can't hurt. Set speer tnt projectiles 20 thou off lands with 45 grains of AR 2208 (varget). Only had 10 rounds (factory feds) through rifle so far so I guess it's still sorting itself out.
Tack

et
05-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Good luck with the load development. I got my CBI 7-08 shooting just over an inch at 300 yds with 168gr berger classic hunters. Doing some more testing tomorrow as well.