PDA

View Full Version : My model 16 xp problems with firing pin/spring

Karstin
05-03-2013, 07:23 PM
Hi.

New here, and I have a question about my savage model 16 rifle. It seems that I am getting alot of misfires (about half of the cartridges I tried). I have went to my local gun store and they took apart my bolt and showed me that first of all: the spring is about a quarter the length of a normal savage spring and is in two parts. The smith figured that was just the way that my new model is made to save money.

The issue is that when he examined a cartridge that actually fired and one that misfired, he noticed that the fired one's primer was flush or almost flush with the end of the cartridge. While on the misfired the primer was a bit "sunk in" and it only got hit lightly because my firing pin can't seem to reach the primers that are more sunk. He recommended I look through my ammo for cartridges with a more flush primer and contact savage asking if they have heard of this issue and could fix, but they are not open this late so I figured I'd post here first.

So are there any other model 16 owners that have had this issue and have found a solution, or am I the first one with this problem because my model is so new. Thanks!

palerider338
05-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Sounds more like an ammo problem IMO. Buy some good stuff and try it.

Karstin
05-03-2013, 09:53 PM
I am using cheaper ammo but It shouldn't matter the ammo I'm using you'd think. I can't exactly return 700 rounds of ammo because half aren't firing. Regardless, there must be something I could do to the spring or pin to get it to work..

sharpshooter
05-03-2013, 10:38 PM
There is nothing you can do to the spring or the pin, it's the ammo.