PDA

View Full Version : Fitting new barrel and lug in to accu stock.

Gary paugh
05-01-2013, 08:52 PM
I did a barrel swap on my pc carbine swapped out the .308 barrel with a LW .243 barrel the swap went easy pipe wrench, cheater bar and one whack with a dead blow hammer and the nut came right off I did soak it down with kroil oil over night.
My hard part is fitting the new recoil lug into the accu stock I'm having to relieve alot of metal in front of the recoil lug area and I don't see that wedge will fit any more.
In all the reading I did prior to the swap I never read anything about fitting a new barrel and lug into a accustock.
I will post a pic when done if anyone wants to see it.

thomae
05-02-2013, 06:51 AM
Swapping barrels is easy if you use the recoil lug designed for the accustock. I put a stevens 200 action in an accustock and the only change I did was to change the factory stevens recoil lug to a factory accustock recoil lug. I didn't think that a hunting rifle would be affected adversely by not having a custom ground aftermarket recoil lug. The accustock lug is shaped differently than the standard Savage-Stevens lug. It is slightly narrower from side to side and has parallel instead of tapered sides. If you do a search for the two on the Midwayusa web site, you can see the difference.

If you use a thicker recoil lug, or one with non-parallel sides, you will have to relieve the accublock accordingly. The wedge is not important, in fact Savage stopped putting the wedge in their accustocks after a while when they realized it was causing more trouble than it was worth. My only concern would be whether or not you are weakening the aluminum accublock sufficiently to cause problems. That would depend upon where and how you relieve for the new lug.

Gary paugh
05-02-2013, 09:38 AM
I did have to remove a bit of metal to get the new lug to fit,there shouldn't be a problem with breakage as it's in front of the recoil lug.
I'm going to shoot it some and maybe bed the lug area if it shows sign for concern.