PDA

View Full Version : Viper PST on the way :)

Texas Solo
05-01-2013, 11:48 AM
I've finally decided to upgrade my scope. The Millet 4-16x50 TRS-1 was OK for the $$$, but I wanted more power and better tracking.
After a ton of research, I decided on a Vortex Viper 6-24x50 PST. I wasn't sure about the busy PST reticle, but once I realized it was MOA vs. Mill Dot, I was OK with it. The other reason for going with the PST was the huge dimensional differences between it and the standard Viper 6-24x50PA. That's really an issue for me as I need a long eye relief scope to avoid having to mount it too far back.
I'm not sure why the reticle choice makes a difference in the eye relief, but it does. PST = 4", Viper = 3.2", unless I'm missing some other difference between the two.

Anyway, it's on the way.

local4fitter
05-01-2013, 09:47 PM
From what I have been reading they are great scopes. Did you get FFP or SFP? I am just starting to learn about long range shooting and right now I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I was looking at the Vortex Viper 4-16x50 SFP. Is first focal plane worth the extra $$? Why do you prefer MOA over Mil dot? Good luck with your new toy. Doug

rallykid
05-01-2013, 11:21 PM
Congrats on the purchase! I got a shipment last week with a FFP PST 4-16 MRAD. Sighted in last weekend and absolutely love it. Mirage effect here in hot AZ was very apparent at magnification over 12~ish.

Texas Solo
05-01-2013, 11:40 PM
From what I have been reading they are great scopes. Did you get FFP or SFP? I am just starting to learn about long range shooting and right now I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I was looking at the Vortex Viper 4-16x50 SFP. Is first focal plane worth the extra $$? Why do you prefer MOA over Mil dot? Good luck with your new toy. Doug

I got the SFP. I only shoot mid range F Class @ 500 meters, so the FFP wasn't worth the extra $$$ to me.
I prefer the MOA reticle because the F-Class target face is 5" diameter (1 MOA @ 500 yards) for the 10 ring, and 10" (2 MOA @ 500 yards) for the 9 ring. I think it will be an easy task to figure hold offs for wind.
I was using a 16x scope, but as long as I was upgrading, I think the 24x will be sweeeet.