PDA

View Full Version : erratic shooting 6.5x284

Tokerace
05-01-2013, 02:10 AM
Am new here to this forum but run across a weird issue with newly purchased 6.5x284 I am about 90 rounds into this rifle and **** near pitched in the trashcan today @ 100 yards im lucky to hit a 2foot by 2 foot target :confused:nightforce scope mounted on it 1)foot high next a foot low then to the right or left my next idea is sending back to savage any suggestions this is with factory loads and reloads using forster dies fed 215 m primers,cci br2 primers cheap primers various powders cleaned after every shot im pulling my hair out with this any help would be much apreciated

Dennis
05-01-2013, 02:43 AM
Settle down, give us a little more information. Which model Savage did you buy? Let us know the exact load and bullet your using. Not too much worried about factory loaded ammo, but go ahead and list it also. This rifle should be shooting <.250 groups. Just to make sure, did you verify the scope is tightly secured to the rifle, base & rings? We should be able to help you. Dennis

thomae
05-01-2013, 07:20 AM
I'm with Dennis on this one. Take a couple of cleansing breaths and let's look at this in a logical way. Let's eliminate one possible problem at a time.

Here are a few things to look at:
My guess is that with variations of the magnitude you are discussing, it is likely a scope-related problem.

Sometimes scope bases seem to be tight and they are not. If the forward screw mounting your scope base is too long, it can bottom out against the barrel threads and thus seem tight, but it is not really holding the scope base tightly. The answer to this problem is to shorten the front scope base screws.

If your scope is somehow broken, it could cause also cause this type of problem. If you swap out your scope for another scope, even a cheaper one, you should be able to tell if this is the problem.

There are other possible issues, but let's address things one at a time.

Tokerace
05-01-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm shooting jlk bullets lapua brass 4831sc various grains I have tried I've tried nosler brass with Berger 140 vld lapua brass with Bergers exact charges well start at the bottom of Bergers reloading manual and to top charge I found one load yesterday that half way decent groups but 45grains of imr 7828 with 142 sierra match kings if you want to call 1 inch at 100 yards a group seated into the lands ten thousandths off the lands my 22-250 will spank this guns tail I can bug hole them with 52 grain bthp 34 grain of 4064 it will bughole them all day long with a cheap bushnell oh yea the savage is a 110 pred hunter max 1 left hand I know it's because the bolts on the wrong side lol

stomp442
05-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Make sure that your barrel is floated and that your tang is too. The tang touching can cause some frustrating issues.

Tokerace
05-01-2013, 11:28 AM
I've checked that but will double check it again today as I endure this journey

Tokerace
05-02-2013, 02:59 AM
Well after rechecking everything and double and triple checking it I found nothing wrong and savage wants it back to investigate the issue.instead of 1 inCh gun it's a 10 inch gun at 100 yards and thankfully someone actually took time to look at the photos of my 10 plus inch group at 100 yards so I guess the wait begins again��

Dennis
05-02-2013, 03:23 AM
Let us know the outcome. I am very interested. Dennis

Tokerace
05-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Will do dropping the rifle off at FedEx here in a few hours