PDA

View Full Version : recocking the bolt

jackG
05-01-2013, 12:25 AM
While screwing around with a new 116, I managed to decock the bolt while it was out of the gun. I have been unable to recock it. Does anyone have a simple description of how to do this? Thanks.

Tokerace
05-01-2013, 02:16 AM
cant you put bolt back in action and recock it ?

hafejd30
05-01-2013, 02:42 AM
Use an allen wrech to unscrew the bolt assembly screw on the back of the bolt. When it relieves enough tension off the spring in the bolt you will be able to recock it. It may take some force to get the BAS to break loose. Use a vice or put the bolt handle againt the floor.

thomae
05-01-2013, 07:04 AM
Basically, you have to push the cocking piece pin (the round thing that protrudes from the side of the bolt) back up the cocking ramp ramp, and over the "hump" into the cocked position, where it will stay. The problem is that you are working against the force of the firing pin. As hafejd30 (http://www.savageshooters.com/member.php?16331-hafejd30) suggested, loosening the BAS takes pressure off the firing pin. You CAN cock the bolt with the full tension of the firing pin on it, but it is harder, and not recommended for your first time.

Often using the sharp edge of a table or workbench (Can't be a rounded over edge) is a good idea. Don't use your antique kitchen table as you might damage it (I use the edge of a workbench).

memilanuk
05-01-2013, 07:26 AM
Edge of a bench - or a tailgate - works for me.

Had to do that this weekend @ a shoot... someone came to me complaining that they were getting light strikes and fail-to-fires... well, yeah, their BAS was like two full turns from tight. Somewhere in the process the bolt came un-cocked and they didn't know how to do that so I showed them the field-expedient method (tail-gate)... ;)

BillPa
05-01-2013, 07:41 AM
Edge of a bench - or a tailgate -

...or the edge of platform on a Loc-On treestand!

thomae
05-01-2013, 08:21 AM
...or the edge of platform on a Loc-On treestand!I won't even ask how you know that!

palerider338
05-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Loosely in a vice and twist....look Ma...no skinned knuckles !!! ;)