PDA

View Full Version : 6br showing signs of pressure?

acemisser
04-30-2013, 04:31 PM
For some reason I am getting a hard bolt lift...Lapua brass
full length sized..Fired probably 8 to 10 times..
cci 400 primers..powders used Varget-re-15...Bullets
107 sierra-85 gr bergers-95 grain bergers..

all loads started from the min. load listed..Bullets not
jamed into the rifleing...The very starting load is causing
a hard bolt lift.

Not sure of the chamber as I bought the barrel used and he
said he got it from Briggs..C.B.I BARREL 1 in 8 twist..

I have tried the 6br norma as well as the 6br Rem data..
Checked case length..within spec..Rounds chamber with ease..???????????

stomp442
04-30-2013, 08:40 PM
After being fired and removed do they rechamber easy or do you have to force it a little? Sounds like your having some case stretch issues. Double check your head space.

SWGC JBMIII
04-30-2013, 11:30 PM
I agree with checking head space,gases can blow by neck and fill chamber. Primers have rounded edges, If primer is flat with a sharp edge after firing would be indication of over pressure. I shoot .308, lapua brass, 210 GM primers. 190 grain vld and "I do" have flat primers, part of being on the edge. Not always a bad thing. If I increase pressures any more brass will want to stick. I full length,checking head space every time. For me stiff bolt lift is normal and I'm ok with it. Make sure the chamber is smooth. Do u clean ur brass ? Is the brass rough or different than before firing ? Checking head space with a gauge what is length before firing...and after ? U want head space .0002 less than a fired case, before loading.I see u have cycled that brass a few times,the necks could be getting hard allowing gases to get by...But that is a hole other evil science.

acemisser
05-01-2013, 07:51 AM
thinking I will anneal the brass again as well..Head space is good.Case length is also good..I am wondering if it is the Varget being it is a diffent lot of powder..It may be hotter than the last pound was? If this is the case I will have to start out a little lower than the recommended starting load ?

Nor Cal Mikie
05-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Bullets "not" jammed into the lands? Try starting off with a .010 jam into the lands.
I start off with "all" my loads .010 into the lands.
With a jump to the lands, you'll start showing pressure signs real early.(when there's no excess pressure) With that same load and the bullets set to a jam, you won't see any pressure and you can work a regular load.
Loaded at say 29 grains and a jump to the lands, you can start seeing pressure. That same load with the bullets jammed into the lands, no pressure and you can go up in powder charge with no problems.
Works for me with no problems. Try it yourself and see if it works for you.

And I single load everything so if you're using a repeter action, the mag may be a limiting factor.

SWGC JBMIII
05-01-2013, 01:34 PM
What do the primers look like after firing ? May not be a pressure problem. I would say no on the varget, not that its a possibility. I'm not so sure what ur dealing with is a problem. Is this something that just started ?

Anyone else feel their bolt is harder to lift after firing ? Lift stiff yes, extraction is smooth yes.I don't think that is a problem. a little polish on chamber could help ?

SWGC JBMIII
05-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Bullets "not" jammed into the lands? Try starting off with a .010 jam into the lands.
I start off with "all" my loads .010 into the lands.
With a jump to the lands, you'll start showing pressure signs real early.(when there's no excess pressure) With that same load and the bullets set to a jam, you won't see any pressure and you can work a regular load.
Loaded at say 29 grains and a jump to the lands, you can start seeing pressure. That same load with the bullets jammed into the lands, no pressure and you can go up in powder charge with no problems.
Works for me with no problems. Try it yourself and see if it works for you.

And I single load everything so if you're using a repeter action, the mag may be a limiting factor.

Were at in Nor Cal ? I lived in Santa Rosa many years.

Nor Cal Mikie
05-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Santa Rosa isn't like it use to be. WAY too many idiots! And everybody drives like it's the Indy 500.
Up North, East of Ukiah. (Potter Valley) In the middle of the Emeriald Triangle.

SWGC JBMIII
05-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Agreed, not been there in 8yrs. getting out of CA. was my best move EVER. My brother/oldest child still live in SR.

I didn't know if u could buy a gun in Cali anymore. LOL. Hear gun owners are looking at a gun tax now...have fun,taking it in the shorts from the liberals.Here in Mississippi we will have "open carry" starting July 1st. Everyone will be strapping a firearm in public. I love it here !!!

Sorry, acsmisser off topic...

acemisser
05-02-2013, 02:58 PM
I think I found the problem here..Some how my sizing die got backed out a bit..?? Must be those **** zombies or that
troll from the swamp..Anyway I loaded a few and plan to go try them here in a few minutes...Cross my fingers...But I did
find out it is not a 6br norma chamber.It is indeed a rem br chamber..? Makes no difference to me anyway...John:biggrin-new:

sharpshooter
05-02-2013, 10:24 PM
A 6BR Remington chamber has a shorter neck, unless you have trimmed your brass back to 1.520", right there is the problem.

SFLEFTY
05-03-2013, 12:41 PM
OK, I'm not buying this because all of my Rem. 6BR brass and factory loads are just shy of 1.56. 22BR yes, but 6? Also I just asked Shilen about the differences between their Norma and Rem 6BR reamers, and they did not mention a length difference. This sounds like a Huge safety issue.

Nor Cal Mikie
05-03-2013, 02:23 PM
What Fred (Sharpshooter) mentioned refers to the "6BR "Remington" older cut chambers. They are in fact shorter. Most of the later cut chambers are the "Lapua" chambers. You need to measure yours and see exactly what you have. Sounds like you're working with the "Lapua" chamber but it's best to check so you'll know for sure. There's a few still out there cut to Remington brass length specs. Not many but they're out there.

acemisser
05-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Your correct the brass is the same length..I had quit a lengthy talk with Walter Berger about this..

From what I gather ,with the Rem. chamber you can not seat the bullets out as far as with the other
chamber..That is why he has 2 different sections in his book..If you have the berger loading manual
you will notice there is a huge difference in the cartridge over all length...I beleive this is where the
pressure issue began..Now loading to the Rem. specs, everything is alright...This is a C.B.I barrel..
I am happy with the barrel...Just could not figure out what was going on,until I talked with Walt..
He is hard of hearing,so if you want to talk with him,speak loud and clear...lol I have a short range out back,a nd did a few load test as Walt suggested...I called him back and told him he correct
about the problem..So if you need advice,go to him...

JW
05-08-2013, 06:27 AM
Did the die adjustment fix the problem?
Jack

I think I found the problem here..Some how my sizing die got backed out a bit..?? Must be those **** zombies or that
troll from the swamp..Anyway I loaded a few and plan to go try them here in a few minutes...Cross my fingers...But I did
find out it is not a 6br norma chamber.It is indeed a rem br chamber..? Makes no difference to me anyway...John:biggrin-new:

drybean
05-09-2013, 09:17 PM
I am sure i my be passing gas
besure you donot have a carbon ring built up in the front of the throat

drybean