PDA

View Full Version : Ammo life expectancy

EAW
04-30-2013, 11:52 AM
So I get a box of brass cased rounds, .40, .45 .204, .308 what have you.... How long is it good for? Can I extended its use by date by say vacuum sealing it in a bag? Put it in a cool dry place with some descant?

Now don't get me wrong, I like shooting, but given ammo shortages and shortages of reloading supplies... I'd like to store up a case or three of my favorite rounds against a rainy day so to speak. How long is stored ammo good for these days? What should you do to protect it? Say you live in a warm humid place, should you vacuum seal your ammo? Is it the same with shotgun ammo?

When should you replace this ammo cache, every 5 years? How long before the chemicals in the components make your round unsafe to use?

fgw_in_fla
04-30-2013, 01:09 PM
I have a few boxes of Remington .38 special that my grandfather gave me with his old pistol. The ammo is from 1974. The department store he bought it from here in Florida went out of business in 1978 (I believe).

They still work fine. The first time I shot any, I hid behind a concrete block wall with just my hand & the pistol hanging over the top. I popped off 6 rounds, counted my fingers, didn't see any blood & called it good.
I also buy military surplus ammo for my SKS & AK. The ammo is from the late 70's / early 80's & still works fine.

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't keep for a good long time as long as it's not sitting in water.....

earl39
04-30-2013, 03:59 PM
I have shot 8mm ammo from the 40's and other than the fact it is corrosive have had no problems and '06 ammo loaded in the 50's with no problem. I would think if you vacuum seal it it would help keep the corrosion of the brass down but cool dry storage and the powder and primer will keep for a long long long time.

ragsflh
04-30-2013, 08:22 PM
still shoot ww2 ammo.remember///keep your powder dry

bootsmcguire
04-30-2013, 11:21 PM
I have fired ammo for shotguns to 22 WRF to various centerfire rounds that were properly stored that dated back to the 20's and 30's and have had no issues or complaints. Now I ussually collect the older shotgun shells and reload for centerfire rather than use the old stuff, but I still have a small supply of 22 WRF from the 30's for my Win 1890.

okie2
05-03-2013, 12:08 AM
I have fired ammo for shotguns to 22 WRF to various centerfire rounds that were properly stored that dated back to the 20's and 30's and have had no issues or complaints. Now I ussually collect the older shotgun shells and reload for centerfire rather than use the old stuff, but I still have a small supply of 22 WRF from the 30's for my Win 1890.

It will last longer than your grand children will