PDA

View Full Version : please double check my plans

squirrel_slayer
04-30-2013, 12:39 AM
hello been doing a bunch of research on the board and I just want to run things by you guys to make sure everything adds up.

for starters i'm attempting to build a switch barrel rifle which in time I hope will be in a vast array of calibers. I'm planning on using a 110 Flat back Long action with a .473 bolt face (E serial prefix) 3 screw trigger. I also have a magnum bolt face and small firing pin. currently have barrels in .308, .260, and .338 edge

now this is where things get confusing for me. my next cartridge will be on a .378 bolt face. from what i'm reading i'll need a "firing pin adapter" from SSS and a modified bolt face? or will the small pin magnum firing pin work? I will also need a .223 bolt baffle to lessen the bolt throw from what I read.

also I read that I can run center feed mags on a stagger feed action by getting a centerfeed stock and profiling the ramp in the action to match up?

any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

bootsmcguire
04-30-2013, 11:52 PM
For the 223 you will need either a LA .378 bolt head, or the Adapter from SSS and a standard SA .378 bolt head. The firing pin should work, but if you go the adapter route you'll have to take off the adapter and put on the regular unit which may require setting pin protrusion each time.

If you are going to use the adapter system, it may be more adventageous to just get a 2nd entire bolt setup for a .378, or have a 2nd firing pin assembly set up with the adapter to ease the conversion each time.

Can't speak of exactly what need to be done to use CF mags in a SF action, but I am sure someone with some experience on that conversion will chime in.

squirrel_slayer
05-01-2013, 10:33 PM
ok good to know. might dedicate one of my two pins for the swap once I go that route.