PDA

View Full Version : Does it get any better

possum1
01-25-2010, 07:26 PM
I just recently swapped my 243 Stevens over to 223 factory barrel I purchased from NNS. The question is why would anybody spend $$ for an after-market target barrel when this one is shooting the same hole every time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bragging or boasting it just amazes me that a factory "budget" rifle can shoot this good !!

GaCop
01-26-2010, 07:17 AM
You basically got "the luck of the draw". As you now know, factory barrels are capable of fine accuracy but it's not a constant. Your next factory purchased could be a stinker. Most of the time, the better quality aftermarket match barrels can and do outshoot factory barrels because of the extra care that goes into their construction. You notice I said "most of the time", even aftermarket barrels can be a stinker.

Like you, I'm quite happy with the accuracy of my factory stainless and fluted 1 in 9 twist 223 barrel, so much so I bought another from Jim in a 1 in 7 twist to try at long range with the heavier bullets now available.

Smokepole
01-26-2010, 09:19 AM
You got lucky. Consistency in production costs money.

Dirk
01-26-2010, 09:29 AM
I just recently swapped my 243 Stevens over to 223 factory barrel I purchased from NNS. The question is why would anybody spend $$ for an after-market target barrel when this one is shooting the same hole every time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bragging or boasting it just amazes me that a factory "budget" rifle can shoot this good !!

My factory barrel shoots one hole groups too. One hole here, one hole there, one hole someplace else. My premium target grade barrels do much, much better!

SFLEFTY
01-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Don't let them make you feel bad about getting a great one! Good for you even if they aren't always that accurate. :)

possum1
01-26-2010, 06:17 PM
Feel bad ? NAW !! Luck ? I don't know, what I do know is I'm 2 for 2, .223 and .243 ;D Hope the streak keeps going, 7.08 next ::)