PDA

View Full Version : Model 12 in .204 Ruger, ctg OAL, YIKES!!

n4ue
04-26-2013, 06:18 PM
I know, there are a lot of threads where this would fit, better than starting a whole new thread, but....

OK, brand, spankin', new M12FV in 204R. Took a new Vortex Vioer of of my Axis .223. Put it on the M12. At the 50 yd position at our range, I eyeballed down the bbl and the scope looked right on. Strange. First two shots less than 1" from POI. Cool.
Now to the OAL part. I am still waiting on my empty brass, so not wanting to fire uncoated (HBN) bullets through my new rifle, I carefully 'pulled' 20 Federal Premium 32 GR which use Nosler BT. Phewww, those little bullets are hard to pull because the exposed part of the BT is part of the ojive. I make my own grip type pullers which have always worked perfect up 'till now.
So I coated the BTs and put them right back into the Fed cases after neck sizing them. I seated them to the exact factory OAL, ie, 2.220"
Retruning home, I used my 'Stoney Point" device to measure the jump to the lands.
This is where the "YIKES" comes in...
I KNOW there has been a LOT of talk about how long these chambers are. Mine measured 2.380" to the lands using the same bullet. So these little suckers really have a long trip before they hit the rifling.
Next, I'll take the fired cases, nk size them and see how far I can seat the bullet without it falling out! ha ha
It's just so much easier to push the rounds into the magazine instead of trying to single feed them.
However, I have always preferred the single feed method ever since I bought my Savage single shot in 223......

Thanks fer reading. Hope I didn't put you to sleep........

ron