PDA

View Full Version : Model 25: Scope help high and right :confused:

Newguyjosh
04-25-2013, 10:51 AM
I have a new savage model 25 varmint thumbhole rifle in .223 and am having some scope problems. First scope I tried was a firefield 8-32x50 and I had to max out windage to get it correct and with elevation adjustments maxed it was still 4 inches high at 50 yards. Tried two different rings with same result. Then decided to try a better quality scope. Have the mueller 8-32x44 target dot scope on it now and while I haven't been to the range yet bore sighting has revealed the same problem. The gun came with bases mount and they appear to have a good fit and alignment. Any help is appreciated. I have never experienced a problem like this. Thanks

Do I need to look for a new one piece base or something instead? If so which one fits this gun?

J.Baker
04-25-2013, 02:09 PM
IIRC the Model 25 comes with 2-piece bases, correct? If so, try swapping them around so the rear is moved to the front and vise-versa and see if that solves the elevation issue. You can also try rotating them (one at a time) 180 degrees and see if that corrects the windage issue.

The factory supplied bases are pretty cheap and low quality, and it isn't unheard of that they are not uniform in thickness and/or they are machined slightly off-center creating the windage issue. As such, going to an aftermarket base wouldn't be a bad idea.

Newguyjosh
04-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Thank you. Which scope base do you recommend? Midway one shows another 2 piece that fits this rifle.

seanhagerty
04-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Millet has some rings which are windage adjustable. That may help with the left and right adjustment.

J.Baker
04-25-2013, 10:13 PM
Evolution Gun Works (EGW) makes a nice 1-pc picatinny rail for the Model 25 for $40.

http://www.egwguns.com/savage/savage-25-picatinny-scope-rail/

homefrontsniper
04-26-2013, 08:37 AM
+ 1 Mrfurious

jeff miller
04-28-2013, 01:25 AM
I have the same scope and had the same problem mine is a .17Hornet

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/719934/burris-30mm-signature-zee-weaver-style-rings-matte-medium

Nice rings and it corected the problem...................377" 5 shot group at 100 yds.:cool:

JEFF

plinkin
05-25-2013, 12:54 AM
I have a new savage model 25 varmint thumbhole rifle in .223 and am having some scope problems. First scope I tried was a firefield 8-32x50 and I had to max out windage to get it correct and with elevation adjustments maxed it was still 4 inches high at 50 yards. Tried two different rings with same result. Then decided to try a better quality scope. Have the mueller 8-32x44 target dot scope on it now and while I haven't been to the range yet bore sighting has revealed the same problem. The gun came with bases mount and they appear to have a good fit and alignment. Any help is appreciated. I have never experienced a problem like this. Thanks

Do I need to look for a new one piece base or something instead? If so which one fits this gun?

I just put my 17H together this past week after having it for months. I took it out back to my 50yd range and I had a hard time finding the 1st 2 shots. I determined they were 8-9" to the right and about 3" high. This is my 2nd M25. I bought 1 last year too in .204 and I have wanted a 3rd in 22H although I love my M40. I had thought the .204's bolt was stiff but the 17H is even more so. The .204 was almost 12" high @ 25yd and when I got in "on paper" at 25 I moved to 100yd and it was worse. I darn near bottomed out the elevation to leave it an inch high at 100yd. I am just about bottomed out heading left to get the rifle shooting center on the 17H. I really was shocked when I read last night how much of the issues I am having are being reported here. Tomorrow I am going to check the action screws and stock just to be sure there isn't something hinky there. I talked with Savage this morning and they are sending me some new screws for the bases because they were a bit bunged up. I also called EGW to inquire about the 1pc base and they told me that over Memorial day weekend they are having a sale, 10% off or something like that. So I think I might buy at least one. It's sad to think I need to upgrade every M25 rifle I own or want to own with a $40 base just to get it shooting right.

plinkin
05-25-2013, 12:58 AM
IIRC the Model 25 comes with 2-piece bases, correct? If so, try swapping them around so the rear is moved to the front and vise-versa and see if that solves the elevation issue. You can also try rotating them (one at a time) 180 degrees and see if that corrects the windage issue.

The factory supplied bases are pretty cheap and low quality, and it isn't unheard of that they are not uniform in thickness and/or they are machined slightly off-center creating the windage issue. As such, going to an aftermarket base wouldn't be a bad idea.

According to the fellow I talked to at EGW today, they make the bases for Savage, especially the M25.

mcho
05-25-2013, 11:34 PM
I have two Mod. 25's and they both sighted in just fine. One, an LV, with a Leo. 4-16 and one, a WV, with a Minox 2-10.
Mark

plinkin
06-09-2013, 02:37 AM
Well, I installed my EGW base on the 17H the other night and I plan to take some time Sunday to see how it shoots on paper. If this did the trick I plan to buy one for the .204 and one for the M25 22H when I get one.

plinkin
06-09-2013, 02:41 AM

Before I mounted my EGW base I noticed a couple things after removing my scope from the 25T 17H. 1st the rear base said "M25" on the right hand side, the left was rotated 180º saying "M25" on the left. When I removed them I used my digital calipers and measured the dimensions all around between the bases and nothing was the same. It was close but often close was .001"-.002" different.

plinkin
06-10-2013, 01:40 PM
I sneaked out in between rain drops and put 5rnds through my 25 17H. This time it was bore sighted with the new EGW rail installed. It was 6" right of center at 50 yards but it didn't take near as many clicks to get it in the center so I am happier. If it is grossly off at 100 yards I will try some Burris Signature Zee rings & inserts. Seriously though I have more adjustment, significantly more, available now. It is also grouping better & with 17rnds down the pipe the bolt is feeling much better.

plinkin
06-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Well I had a chance last night to make it out to the 100yd range. She was shooting 3" high of center & .5" right. I brought it down 16 clicks and left 4. Took 2 shots, they were touching, about 1 & 1/8" high and 1/4" left. 1 click back to the right and I was a happy camper :) Boy it shoots well.

seanhagerty
06-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Always good to hear of a happy ending!

plinkin
06-13-2013, 01:20 AM
I think I am going to order a 2nd base for my .204 & maybe another for a future 22H M25.

Willy
09-07-2013, 06:16 PM
plinkin: what do you use for the gun rest? I'm using the orangy-red plastic predator shooting rest (about $40-50), and am wondering if sand bags would be better.

plinkin
09-07-2013, 06:46 PM
plinkin: what do you use for the gun rest? I'm using the orangy-red plastic predator shooting rest (about $40-50), and am wondering if sand bags would be better.

I have tried a lot of different rests. Some home made, some store bought.

Store bought ones were as follows:

Allen / Winchester Sharpshooter bench rest. WalMart. It didn't fit my Henry rifles nor my body mass so it sat for 3 years until I recently sold it over eBay.

Caldwell Matrix. Not a bad inexpensive rest. Its nice because it can double as a hand gun rest but the elevation control slowly moves down no matter how much I tighten it.

Caldwell Pistolero. One of the best cheap rests I bought. It is nice for handguns and long guns. Downfall is that it should be modified with some type of cushion because the hard plastic sets up a resonance when shooting and I feel it effects accuracy.

Caldwell Dead Shot shooting bags, 2 piece set. Excellent investment. I would like to buy a few other bags to compliment these two, especially the "Tack Driver".

Caldwell Lead Sled II. Nice stable rest. I haven't taken it to the range when I can use it effectively. It would work better for me if I could shoot with it next to me instead of at a standard table. My suggestions with this rest is buy spare different size fore grip bags and make some type of modification to level the front of the rest left to right. I intend to use body shims and place them above the front feet.

Caldwell Rock JR. Just arrived today. MidwayUSA had it on sale last month, $19.99 and it is simple to assemble and looks to be a nice steady rest. If you have another rest such as the Lead Sled II or similar have extra front bags for additional width fore grips.

Then there is the old 2x4 covered with a rubber floor mat. Eesh, it worked.

There are a lot of home made bags you can make. You can use old socks or pant legs from jeans and fill them with rice or dry corn kernels. Some sort of bag seems to be the best. It is true I spend more when I buy ready to assemble things but I figure if I spend a few hours making something that might cost me $40 I have wasted my time. To each their own.

I have used old couch cushions, folded up jackets, sweat shirts. Last year I accidentally burned holes in my daughter's new marching band hoodie when I was shooting my Raging Hornet and Raging HMR. Thankfully she forgave me.

Now, in reference to my above post about the EGW rail. I just received today 2 more rails for my .204 and my new 22H. I will be installing it in the M25Thole 22H this weekend. Pics to follow.