PDA

View Full Version : Fire lapping for accuracy

Pages : 1 [2]

RP12
12-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Fire lapping = premature throat erosion. Its is a good way to junk a barrel.+1.:thumb:

wbm
12-25-2013, 05:46 PM
Have fire lapped in the past and if you follow the directions you are not going to junk a barrel. However, I never had an accuracy improvement that was any better than after a barrel was just fired 200 rounds. Cleaning was certainly better though. I don't fire lap now because I don't see the need but I do them for friends if they really want it done. If you do it correctly be prepared to spend the better part of a shooting day doing it!

jonbearman
12-25-2013, 06:56 PM
The chatter in the pics,is it interuption of the button being pulled through or drilling marks.I know brux laps 2 or 3 times to smooth it out before final inspection and cleaning.

82boy
12-25-2013, 07:01 PM
The chatter in the pics,is it interuption of the button being pulled through or drilling marks.I know brux laps 2 or 3 times to smooth it out before final inspection and cleaning.

Brux barrels are not button rifled, but cut rifled. I was told that they use two lapping time, one after drilling , and the other after cutting the rifling.

Wildboarem
01-03-2014, 04:37 AM
I used the final finish system on my .300 wby. She was a dirty pig. I could run a 100 patches through it and still come out dirty. Accuracy was not that great either. Custom factory ammo shot 1.5 moa. For a hunting gun some say that is good enough. Had nothing to loose, so I ran the coursest to the finest. Fouling is "normal" now and I have several loads shooting under 3/4 moa. In fact it shot an -8" group at 1150 yds. In a factory wby I wasn't worried about throat setback, which is different than erosion, sorry 82boy. I also used it in an oly ar heavy barrel, same results. In the right situation I wouldn't hesitate to use it again, but not on my CBI or Rock Creek tubes.