PDA

View Full Version : Need new scope for savage 10 tactical

thomasg
04-23-2013, 03:05 AM
Hello all,
I just got my first savage, its a 10p 5r. I'm looking for some good glass to go along with it. I have a couple scopes like the vortex viper pst ffp, and the bushnell elite tactical but I'm looking for something a little different for this rifle. I'm looking into something with a bdc and ranging feature. The Pride Fowler industries p900 caught my eye. Does anyone have experience with this scope? I love the idea of multiple target capabilities it has but also am a bit worried it might hinder me in the way of "precision shooting" as it isn't set up for fine target shooting. I was also looking at the horus bdc reticles but they are not illuminated, also I was wondering how accurate their reticle is. Does anyone have a suggestion for a BDC reticle scope? My price range would top out at around 1800.
Thanks,
Thomas

JCalhoun
04-24-2013, 11:43 AM
I'd bet Doug at CmeraLand can help you out. They carry just about eveything scope related.

masterblaster
04-24-2013, 04:36 PM
You should consider Vortex and the new Bushnell.

stangfish
04-24-2013, 05:46 PM
why illuminated?

pitsnipe
04-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Leupold Mk 4 in your choice of M-1 (MOA) or M-5 (Mill) dials with the TMR (and soon to be available the TMR subtended to MOA this from Leupold when I called about changing a reticle) with a min of 20 power top end. Mine does just fine out to 1000 yds hitting a 10 disc of steel. Or of course a Nightforce. But with the illumination you cant change how bright the reticle is as easy as you can with a Leupold. Some dont like the look of that "wart" on the scope. I think it adds character.

thomasg
04-25-2013, 12:58 PM
I have the vortex viper pst and I love it, but I like the idea of having a custom or semi custom scope that takes your bullet data and creates a reticle specific to your rifle. I think the only one that truly does that is the new nightforce but that is a little too high in price for me. I like the pride fowler rapid reticle because it's a similar system to what I was shooting in the military. But it probably isn't spot on accurate. I haven't really looked at the leupolds yet but I will give them a shot. I like illuminated reticles because I shoot in low light scenarios a lot. I have heard mixed reviews about the horus system but I'm willing to give it a try. I just want to get away from scopes that require a bunch of turret twisting and I usually do not shoot known distance so a range finding system is a good thing to have.

GSXR
05-06-2013, 01:17 AM
If you want to range targets stay away from moa reticle and turrets. get a first focal plane mil based reticle with 1/10 mil turrets. Theres a reason why the military uses milrian based scopes for ranging. They simply work. Its easy to learn to use and it works. Follow up shot are easier. You take a shot at distance and you did your part but you missed the mark at a distance you simply havnt shot or a load different than your go to load. mil mil scope you simply dope what you see. If your 3/4 of a mil low or left or whatever. The turrets match the reticle simply dial it In, its not that easy on a mil/moa scope. With the first focal plane your range estimation is correct on any power unlike second focal that only ranges on one power setting accurately.I have Never used any turrets that are calibrated just for one particular gun and caliber, problem I see with that Is extreme temperature changes effect trajectory, hot thin air produces a flatter trajectory, cold dense air will slow you down and things add up quick at distances beyond 6, 700 yards. With a true mil/mil scopes you can range and use with any caliber, you can pull scope off a .223 and slap on a 300 win mag and If you have data sheets on your load, ballistic calculators will give you drop, energy values etc etc If you know the velocity of your load, air temp, humidity, altitude etc etc.. You have to know the speed of your load for things to work correctly and nothin replaces actual going out and puttin rounds down range and keepin a loge of things or dope If you will. The math does not change with the mil dot system, wehter it be a .22 or a .50 cal, no bdc scope will give you that flexibilty. Its always better to dial In your scope rather than hold over. I personally have a mark 4 ER/T first focal TMR reticle with the M5 turrets. Works for me, scope ranges very accurately and works good for target shooting as well. Scopes cross hair do not meet In the middle, which acutually works out ok because it doesnt cover up the small target dots I use on my pie plates, It was designed for the military so snipers could see center mass on targets and not have reticle cover it up, find It works well for target shooting as well.

thomasg
05-06-2013, 03:17 AM
If you want to range targets stay away from moa reticle and turrets. get a first focal plane mil based reticle with 1/10 mil turrets. Theres a reason why the military uses milrian based scopes for ranging. They simply work. Its easy to learn to use and it works. Follow up shot are easier. You take a shot at distance and you did your part but you missed the mark at a distance you simply havnt shot or a load different than your go to load. mil mil scope you simply dope what you see. If your 3/4 of a mil low or left or whatever. The turrets match the reticle simply dial it In, its not that easy on a mil/moa scope. With the first focal plane your range estimation is correct on any power unlike second focal that only ranges on one power setting accurately.I have Never used any turrets that are calibrated just for one particular gun and caliber, problem I see with that Is extreme temperature changes effect trajectory, hot thin air produces a flatter trajectory, cold dense air will slow you down and things add up quick at distances beyond 6, 700 yards. With a true mil/mil scopes you can range and use with any caliber, you can pull scope off a .223 and slap on a 300 win mag and If you have data sheets on your load, ballistic calculators will give you drop, energy values etc etc If you know the velocity of your load, air temp, humidity, altitude etc etc.. You have to know the speed of your load for things to work correctly and nothin replaces actual going out and puttin rounds down range and keepin a loge of things or dope If you will. The math does not change with the mil dot system, wehter it be a .22 or a .50 cal, no bdc scope will give you that flexibilty. Its always better to dial In your scope rather than hold over. I personally have a mark 4 ER/T first focal TMR reticle with the M5 turrets. Works for me, scope ranges very accurately and works good for target shooting as well. Scopes cross hair do not meet In the middle, which acutually works out ok because it doesnt cover up the small target dots I use on my pie plates, It was designed for the military so snipers could see center mass on targets and not have reticle cover it up, find It works well for target shooting as well.

Thanks for the comment GSXR, I'm more than familiar with mil/mil scopes because I've been in the military for the last several years. I have a couple mil/mil scopes but as I said earlier I want to set this rifle up a little differently. I'm not necisarily looking for "sniper" accuracy, I'm looking for a scope that I can quickly range and fire at targets at different distances. I basically want a long range acog type scope. If you are familiar with the acog you know the range markers aren't spot on but they're close enough to get shots on target quickly. Check out the PFI rapid reticle and you'll see what I'm looking for. But this is a less custom designed reticle. I'm basically looking for something like the new nightforce 1000 yard reticle where you send them all your range data then they send you a custom reticle that matches your bullet and your gun. I can always adjust for temp because again I'm not looking for pinpoint precision I'm just looking for fast shots that are in the right ball park. The only problem with the vortex is there is no ranging feature so it would be a known distance scope. So basically I'm looking for a hybrid of the two scopes.

rattfink
05-06-2013, 07:51 AM
Consider a ranging reticle like Zeiss Rapid Z?

masterblaster
05-06-2013, 07:57 AM
The ranging system is in the mil dots or has marks themselves, you just need to know the avg size of the target.

GSXR
05-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Ill deinately check It out, sounds Interesting and also sounds like you know what your wanting to accomplish, as another member stated you have to know the height of your target to use the mil dot system. I use Inches and theres two formulas that work well

stangfish
05-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Have you researched the reticles that some of the more progressive manufacturers have on thier scopes. Most have great web pages with reticles and applications.