PDA

View Full Version : Savage Hog hunter replacement stock.

Buster95
04-22-2013, 02:47 PM
I would like to know what aftermarket stocks are available for this rifle in .308, I think Bell & Carlson medalist #2997 is one of them but what are the other options, the accustock will fit or no?

bootsmcguire
04-22-2013, 03:57 PM
The accustock will not fit without a fair amount of modification.

The Hog Hunter (in 223 & 308) is built on the Short Action with the 4.40" screw spacing, side mounted bolt release, and is a Centerfeed Magazine. Any aftermarket stock for that action should fit just fine. If memory serves, I do believe the Medalist #2997 is for that action.

CharlieNC
04-22-2013, 04:47 PM
I put a Choate Tactical on my Hog Hunter.

Buster95
04-22-2013, 05:09 PM

Do you have a pic of your rifle please?

thomae
04-22-2013, 09:43 PM
The accustock will not fit without a fair amount of modification. I respectfully disagree. I took a short action, centerfeed, Stevens 200, and
A. replaced the recoil lug with an accustock lug (5-10 minute job), and
B. did just a bit of grinding out with my dremel tool to make a space for the side mounted bolt release (maybe 5 minutes max?)
C. I think I replaced the trigger guard, but I don't remember.
After that, my Stevens 200 fit perfectly into the Accustock I had purchased used from another forum member.

To me, this was "not much work at all" and not at all "a fair amount of modification." It may be different for you (and I am not trying to be snarky or sarcastic). Only you can judge what is worth doing in terms of your own time, tools and level of expertise.

stangfish
04-22-2013, 10:16 PM
It is a little more difficult puting an accuaction in a non accustock.

stangfish
04-22-2013, 10:17 PM
BTW I think the H&S stock is sexy in that trim.

bootsmcguire
04-23-2013, 12:58 AM
I respectfully disagree. I took a short action, centerfeed, Stevens 200, and
A. replaced the recoil lug with an accustock lug (5-10 minute job), and
B. did just a bit of grinding out with my dremel tool to make a space for the side mounted bolt release (maybe 5 minutes max?)
C. I think I replaced the trigger guard, but I don't remember.
After that, my Stevens 200 fit perfectly into the Accustock I had purchased used from another forum member.

To me, this was "not much work at all" and not at all "a fair amount of modification." It may be different for you (and I am not trying to be snarky or sarcastic). Only you can judge what is worth doing in terms of your own time, tools and level of expertise.

Respectfully, I was attempting to use the word "fair" rather loosely. Fair to one person is not necessarily fair to another. The difficulty of a task is relative to a person's abilities, confidence in those abilities, and access to the required tools for the job. Thomae is right, the amount of work involved is relatively minimal, but not knowing the OP's abilities I was merely trying to keep it simple. Thank you for giving a detailed description of the process of the conversion for us, and in the future I will be sure to state the process rather than just dismiss it.

Thank you for explaining the process for the OP to make a more informed decision.

No ill feelings intended or received.

thomae
04-23-2013, 07:24 AM
Respectfully, I was attempting to use the word "fair" rather loosely. Fair to one person is not necessarily fair to another. The difficulty of a task is relative to a person's abilities, confidence in those abilities, and access to the required tools for the job. Thomae is right, the amount of work involved is relatively minimal, but not knowing the OP's abilities I was merely trying to keep it simple. Thank you for giving a detailed description of the process of the conversion for us, and in the future I will be sure to state the process rather than just dismiss it.

Thank you for explaining the process for the OP to make a more informed decision.

No ill feelings intended or received.
None taken and none intended from my end either. It sounds like we are in agreement. Hopefully we can help the OP make his decision.

M16LR.50
05-30-2013, 04:17 AM

I purchased a choate tactical for mine as well. However it is the 2.75 spacing one. I am wondering how hard it would be to modify it to 4.4?

txbdyguard
05-30-2013, 11:42 AM
My hog hunter http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd456/txbdyguard/th_rifle1_zps649bd8ee.jpg (http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/txbdyguard/media/rifle1_zps649bd8ee.jpg.html)

Not a plastic stock but it's easy to get side bolt release stocks without having to modify.