PDA

View Full Version : bedding

timmymic
04-22-2013, 09:58 AM
I am looking at a savage model 10 fcp mcmillan, the only problem is that it is not bedded. (I know that the hs model comes bedded already but i like the mcmillan look better). But i was wondering what is the best/most accurate way of bedding... glass, aluminum block, or pillars?

sharpshooter
04-23-2013, 01:14 AM
What makes you think it needs to be bedded?

timmymic
04-23-2013, 06:02 AM
I guess that would have been a better question but everything I read says any gun can benefit from a bedding job

Bigdave1977
04-23-2013, 03:46 PM
If it's already pillar bedded I would bolt it in and try it first. You may not need it. Some will say you always have to have glass bedding on top of pillars, but I have shot and know others who shoot guns with pillar bedding only. A lot of the time they will shoot bug holes without the glass bedding.

timmymic
04-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Alright I will have to check that out because idk if it even has pillars

sharpshooter
04-24-2013, 12:14 AM
Mc Millen stocks don't have pillars, and if you ask them, they will tell you that they are not necessary.

timmymic
04-24-2013, 05:51 AM
That's not what this video says from mcmillans YouTube page...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bG6m4EAGmz8&feature=plcp

Bigdave1977
04-24-2013, 06:57 AM
I wouldn't doubt if sharpshooter is correct. They probably wouldn't hurt, but they may not be necessary. I have a friend running a weatherby mkIV on a carbelite classic with no pillars or glass bed and he is getting real consistent sub 1/2 moa groups out to 300 meters. It opens up to about 3/4moa to 600 after that, but it is a sporter contour barrel after all. The video may say otherwise, but I would bet he may have called them direct for his info.

Dennis
04-24-2013, 10:54 AM
I have a FCP McMillian 308. It's a tac driver. I skim bedded it, tweaked the trigger, and I have left it alone. 300 yards, it will shoot 1/4 groups when I do my job. Even using factory ammo. It was one of the first guns I have bought now 5 years ago. I still shoot it in some matches that require a magazine. Factory barrel. It's still a tac driver shooting factory ammo.

The only complaint and I shouldn't even mention it, the barrel does require a good cleaning after a 150 rounds. It's the only barrel I use JB on as my patch is tight the first 10 inches of the barrel. But it's still a shooter. I am use to my barrels only taking about 5 patches and your finished. Dennis

PS: I shot this gun in a F/TR match using factory ammo. It still holds one the highest scores I have ever shot in F/TR.