PDA

View Full Version : First build

dmm08300
04-20-2013, 10:11 PM
Hello all,
I am new to the forum and recently purchased my first savage rifle to do a build just for fun. It is a model 11 in .260 rem at the moment and I was thinking of rebarreling in 6.5x47 Lapua. I am looking for some feedback on the caliber choice and recommendations for a barrel. I plan on replacing the factory plastic stock with a laminate stock and looking for a light varmint contour barrel. Also I would appreciate any info on how to go about determining a starting load for this round.

ellobo
04-21-2013, 12:14 AM
Call Jim Briggs at Northlander Shooting Supplies for a barrel and any other thing you may need, like an aftermarket recoil lug. he advertises here. Boyds stocks advertises here and has three different designs of laminate stocks for Savages for around $100. For an extra $50 they will checker the stock for you.

El Lobo

bodywerks
04-21-2013, 12:40 AM
Why would you downgrade from a 260 to a 6.5x47? The only advantage to it is an ability to seat bullets a little longer while maintaining mag length. Hardly an advantage if you ask me. You'll get more velocity and far more brass options sticking with the 260. I could maybe understand considering 6.5 creed as it is a more comparable round with very, very good factory match ammo at reasonable prices, and there's the argument that the steeper shoulder angle results in a more efficient, consistent burn.

stomp442
04-21-2013, 12:46 AM
Why rechamber to 6.5x47? Just to have a match quality barrel? Its pretty much a latteral move, the .260 and 6.5x47 are very similar in performance. I have always been well pleased with the 260 Remington. Plus one to contacting Jim he can hook you up with whatever you need.

dmm08300
04-21-2013, 10:01 AM
I wasn't really planning on buying the rifle in .260 it just happened to be the best deal on a short action savage at the time and I was planning on the 6.5x47 since I decided to do the build. I do not shoot competition or anything like that I am just building for fun and to learn something new, and the 6.5x47 has intrigued me since the first time I read about it.