PDA

View Full Version : Chart for Caliber Barrel Changes........?

daniel brothers
04-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Chart for Caliber Barrel Changes....?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there a chart that shows what barrel/calibers can be used for changing out in a Savage 12....?

I have a bull barrel savage 12, in a 204... and was wondering what calibers can it be changed out too.

I know that some sizes of bolt faces allow you to go up or down in calibers, but I'm goose green about it all.... because of being a bowhunter all my life.

I have a savage 12 LRP 243 bull barrel.... what would it take to change it out with the 204?

thanks...Dan

stangfish
04-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Change the bolt head and the barrel using a headspace gauge of some sort. I will let someone else tell us if the firing pin will work. Swap the magazines and followers if they are compatable with your feed system and shazzam! If one is a staggerfeed and the other a centerfeed thats another item to add.

You can use a reloading manual to determine what cartridges use a given bolt head

JW
04-20-2013, 08:21 PM
This will tell what calibers fit what bolt heads
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?168-What-Fits-Cartridge-List-%28PDF-version%29
Jack

brasse
04-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Not shown is the 6.5 Creedmoor, same as the 260 Rem and the 308

squirrel_slayer
04-20-2013, 08:44 PM
plus thousands of wildcats. sky and your budget is the limit pretty much on a savage. till you get to the real big stuff at least. obviously .338 lapua, .408 chey tac, 50 cal ect... are a no go.

daniel brothers
04-22-2013, 09:06 PM
thanks guys for the heads up.... and that chart JW posted the link too is what I was after.... thanks... JW.

PS... I have Arkansas blood as well JW.... Jonesboro area.... but LOVE Mountain Home.