PDA

View Full Version : Getting barrel threaded

Sdborror
04-19-2013, 11:11 AM
Okay I am going to send my barrel off to get threaded. It's a Mcgowen 26" 300 win mag varmint contor should I have them cut it down at all or leave it at 26". What threading should I get? I was thinking 5/8x24 would be most appropriate but I just want to make sure. This is my first build so I would rather ask a dumb question then screw it up thanks guys.

sinman
04-19-2013, 04:18 PM
What are you having it threaded for?

breakingcontact
04-19-2013, 04:40 PM
From what I understand about barrel length and velocity, unless you're shooting a really long difference it doesn't matter much. Some say shorter barrels are in fact more accurate at more moderate ranges as they are stiffer.

Its almost as bad as the 9vs40vs45 debate.

bootsmcguire
04-19-2013, 08:06 PM
5/8-24 is the standard threading for 30 cal. Me personally I like my barrels long. Most of my barrels are 26 to 28". To me therre is no reason to cut it short and lose any velocity, unless you need it short to be handy in dense cover or something like that.

rinodods
04-20-2013, 02:55 AM
I wouldn't cut it down and most of the time you'd be looking at 5/8-24 or 1/2-28 threading. If it is varmint 5/8-24 should do real well for you. Most brakes will come in those threadings so that won't limit you. I'd really suggest when looking for a brake you go with a top and side ported design and not a radial. You'll know why the first time you shoot prone. They are very easy to find.

Sdborror
04-21-2013, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't cut it down and most of the time you'd be looking at 5/8-24 or 1/2-28 threading. If it is varmint 5/8-24 should do real well for you. Most brakes will come in those threadings so that won't limit you. I'd really suggest when looking for a brake you go with a top and side ported design and not a radial. You'll know why the first time you shoot prone. They are very easy to find.

I'm guessing because their will be a huge dust cloud when I shoot prone with a radial brake. I am going for long range performance and accuracy so I will keep my barrel at the 26"s. 5/8-24 is what I was thinking but I was not positive. Thanks guys for that info!