PDA

View Full Version : My new Savage Rifle

500 Stroker
04-18-2013, 06:25 PM
I am new to the Savage world.
I am a 30 year plus hunter of larger game and do my own hand loading.
I recently had a hankeren to shoot at longer distances say out to 800 yards.
So I purchased a Savage 111LRH in 6.5 Creedmoor
My objective is to do some long range paper punching out to 800 yards and use this rifle to take thin skinned large game out to about 500 yards.
Can anyone who knows this rifle give me some general pointers on ammo, scope rail, rings etc.
Did I jump off a cliff or just hit my head hard?:o
Thanks in Advance

J.Baker
04-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Welcome to the sickness!

Regarding a scope rail and rings there are a number of good options. My two preferences are as follows:

EGW picatinny rail topped with Burris Signature Zee rings
DNZ Products Game Seeker 1-pc base/ring setup

As far as ammo goes I can't help ya as I don't have a 6.5 Creedmore.

500 Stroker
04-23-2013, 02:27 PM
Welcome to the sickness!

Regarding a scope rail and rings there are a number of good options. My two preferences are as follows:

EGW picatinny rail topped with Burris Signature Zee rings
DNZ Products Game Seeker 1-pc base/ring setup

As far as ammo goes I can't help ya as I don't have a 6.5 Creedmore.

Hay Thanks for the come back and the info, I will check them out.
How about the rest of you big time Savage shooters I could have gotten more response at the corner gas station.

Brent
04-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Guess people are out shooting instead of thinking about shooting.

6.5 creed is similar to a 260 rem. Most people choose 120-140 gr bullets. For LR you will want to go as high BC as the rifle will handle. For example a 140 gr Bergrer VLD at .613 bc is great choice for down range performance. Hornady Amax is another good choice. I like Noslers but have not shot them in the 6.5mm yet. Primarily due to BC and Bergers work well in my 6.5-284 and my range is 1000-1500 yards. I have not found a huge advantage to higher BC at the shorter ranges such as 600 or less. I think any of the top shelf bullets are fine and anything the rifle shoots well is going to be good.

Powder- I prefer Hogdon extreme powders such as H4350 and H4831sc. Superformance might be ok too although I have not conclusively tested it in the larger case of the 284. I know others have had success in the smaller .308 size cases. I like to run 1 powder that works well for all things so I choose the temp stable line. For example my rifle loves Retumbo, that is what I use for all shooting.

Primers is a pick your poison deal. I use Federal 210M. Works for me. Going to test CCI in my buddies 260 but have not done so yet.

Scope etc. Another pick your poison. I like magnification for precise shot placement and run a Night Force 5.5-22 x56 np-r1. I will have some field time with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 x50 soon. Vortex, Night Force, Huskemaw, etc are all good. Another option is a Leupold custom with M1 turrents. Basically, look at your budget and get a Turrent based scope, a ballistics program, good range finder, and weather station.

LR shooting has some big obstacles that must be dealt with: range, slope, and atmosphere(wind, temp, elevation/barometer).

500 Stroker
04-23-2013, 08:22 PM
[QUOTE=Brent;180221]Guess people are out shooting instead of thinking about shooting.

6.5 creed is similar to a 260 rem. Most people choose 120-140 gr bullets. For LR you will want to go as high BC as the rifle will handle. For example a 140 gr Bergrer VLD at .613 bc is great choice for down range performance. Hornady Amax is another good choice. I like Noslers but have not shot them in the 6.5mm yet. Primarily due to BC and Bergers work well in my 6.5-284 and my range is 1000-1500 yards. I have not found a huge advantage to higher BC at the shorter ranges such as 600 or less. I think any of the top shelf bullets are fine and anything the rifle shoots well is going to be good.

Powder- I prefer Hogdon extreme powders such as H4350 and H4831sc. Superformance might be ok too although I have not conclusively tested it in the larger case of the 284. I know others have had success in the smaller .308 size cases. I like to run 1 powder that works well for all things so I choose the temp stable line. For example my rifle loves Retumbo, that is what I use for all shooting.

Primers is a pick your poison deal. I use Federal 210M. Works for me. Going to test CCI in my buddies 260 but have not done so yet.

Great job. That is just the type of info I was look'n for - you da Man
I will take me some real time to put this al together I will keep you posted with my results.
Thanks Again