PDA

View Full Version : Buyers remorse ? Model 10 fcp-sr for tactical precision ?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

chukarmandoo
11-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Well I now have the shock that was supposed to have gotten with the build. IT came in late last night on UPS. Those guys really are tough to deal with some times. The package was on the truck for 3 days. I know this for a fact! The driver and I had words, LOL !
Any way when I get it all set up I'll post it.

chukarmandoo
11-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Okay now I've got my work cut out for me. First off I need to build a karsten type cheek rest. Then I need to do something with the LOP. Next I need to pull the scope and rail off, (I lied), and put a 20 MOA base on it. I thought it came with one but I was wrong. Anyway I have a Warne steel rail to put on it and you can't see any daylight between the action and rail. Looks right. Another thing I need to do is try and mount my flush cups for my sling. That will be a tough one on this stock. I have an adjustable butt plate and pad I want to install so I'll see how that goes. Then I will install the scope and I should be ready for the range. Think I might try and heat things up a bit for my next shoot. May even go to 130's? Wish I had some of you guys looking over my shoulder to help out, LOL. Should be a different stick here in a week or so.

chukarmandoo
11-10-2013, 11:39 PM
http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t564/noplan1/DSCN2239_zps5d4d67ab.jpg?t=1384129254Well this is what it looks like now. The new stock is basically the same as the other one except it has the beaver tail for end and a different paint scheme. I cut the stock down a little and added the adjustable butt plate. The cheek piece I made. I added the 20 moa rail. I also added a few pounds to the stock. She weighs 19#'s now. I had to take the backing plate out of the magazines to load the long bullets. Next is a trip to the range.

rattfink
11-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Been to the range with this gal yet Chuck? That's a good looking job you did on the cheek piece.

chukarmandoo
11-13-2013, 04:24 PM
No, not yet. I'm trying to get the magazines to work right. I didn't want to mess with them till I had the new stock. Same deal with this one. Called Accurate-Mag and talked to them but when it's on the phone it's tough to explain. I just call to see if they were having any other problems like me and they said no. Just about got it worked out on my own. I want it running smooth before I take her out for another drive. I only want to deal with one problem at a time.

chukarmandoo
11-13-2013, 07:08 PM
Okay, so here's the problem. I haven't been able to run the bolt with pressure on the mag. This has not been good as you are always supporting the rifle via the magazine except from the prone. There is a little glitch between the two companies here in their fit and finish.
Most shooters don't have a problem with this. From what I hear a lot of people gripe about the magazine rattling in the bottom metal but for the kind of rifle it is that doesn't bother me at all. I support the rifle in the offhand with my hand under the magazine. Therefore I still need to be able to cycle the bolt. Well after working on it for most of the day I have 4 mags that seem to work. We'll see come range day.

chukarmandoo
11-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Today I took the rifle to the range to zero it since doing the stock exchange. Well it did not go very good to say the least. When I took the rifle out when I first got it I experienced almost the same thing as today. So I wasted 40 rounds,range fee and gas. I have never shot this rifle without the muzzle brake and with testing both stocks the barrel is pushed down to the point it causes the stock to flex to the point it comes in contact with the barrel. So this afternoon I took the weight out of the butt stock and cut 1 1/2 lbs of the weight off and re-installed it. I took the barreled action out and opened up the channel at the front. I then put it back together and torqued it down. I also found that the rings were a little loose to the base. I think things will straighten out now. I know it will shoot. I just haven't put it together right yet.

rattfink
11-21-2013, 11:59 PM
Okay, so here's the problem. I haven't been able to run the bolt with pressure on the mag. This has not been good as you are always supporting the rifle via the magazine except from the prone. There is a little glitch between the two companies here in their fit and finish.
Most shooters don't have a problem with this. From what I hear a lot of people gripe about the magazine rattling in the bottom metal but for the kind of rifle it is that doesn't bother me at all. I support the rifle in the offhand with my hand under the magazine. Therefore I still need to be able to cycle the bolt. Well after working on it for most of the day I have 4 mags that seem to work. We'll see come range day.

I don't mean to insult your intelligence but I have always considered this a pretty bad habit for the exact reason you cite.
That's what I was taught and what I have been teaching guys for years.

chukarmandoo
11-22-2013, 01:04 AM
I don't mean to insult your intelligence but I have always considered this a pretty bad habit for the exact reason you cite.
That's what I was taught and what I have been teaching guys for years.

No offense taken. It's the way we done it in the Corps. Even when shooting from the prone.Anyone remember the big finger-less glove for the support hand? Anyway it is a big asset not to have to worry about something putting pressure on the mag during a stage and causing you to break position and lose valuable time. It will get fixed. No biggie.

chukarmandoo
12-01-2013, 03:07 AM
http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t564/noplan1/1211ae28-18d6-4844-94c8-98dd58399a34_zpsa2c012ca.jpg?t=1385862358http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t564/noplan1/1211ae28-18d6-4844-94c8-98dd58399a34_zpsa2c012ca.jpg?t=1385862358
This is a ladder test that I've started and it looks like I'm figuring some things out. I got this info from a fellow over on snipers hide. Well some of it anyway "the part that makes sense". Because I was so far from home when I done this, I was only able to load for the first test. I also wanted to see what effect COAL had on my existing load.

LoneWolf
12-01-2013, 10:48 AM
No offense taken. It's the way we done it in the Corps. Even when shooting from the prone.Anyone remember the big finger-less glove for the support hand? Anyway it is a big asset not to have to worry about something putting pressure on the mag during a stage and causing you to break position and lose valuable time. It will get fixed. No biggie.

They don't teach it any longer because it will cause most semi auto's to jam. Also you have more control over the firearm with your forehand further forward.

rattfink
12-01-2013, 12:29 PM
They don't teach it any longer because it will cause most semi auto's to jam. Also you have more control over the firearm with your forehand further forward.

This. In January 2004 the SOP was palm under the forgrips. Fingerless gloves and all.

Still...I would expect a little better fit and finish on your new stick than a stepped on M16-A2 from one of the depots.

chukarmandoo
12-01-2013, 02:19 PM
So my ladder test shows that there is a accuracy node from shots #2-#6. That group has a 1.5 vertical spread at just over 500 yards which would be just under .3 MOA. Even though the speed would be a little low I think I could get better groups at 41 grains than the 43 I've been running. Another thing I seen is that none of the cases showed any signs of pressure even at 44 grains. Also when I shot the 3 rounds at different COAL the 2.82 looked to be a little closer to POA. This I think is do,impart,to lower pressure with the bullet being seated deeper (might be giving me velocities more like 41 grains jamb)? Even that little test showed those 3 shots grouped at 2.5". I still don't think this load is optimum for the harmonics of this barrel as rounds #2-#6 showed. I'm not going to get caught in the speed trap over accuracy thing.
The magazine thing is almost worked out. Not to put anyone down about this, but my support hand has always and will always be under the action with my elbow braced against my body. I don't shoot gangster style LOL.

markb317
12-01-2013, 04:59 PM
nice gun.
You might want to give the Berger 140 gn. Hybrids a try in your gun . They have very high BC and are easy to get tuned in. Most guys that I shoot with at the long range shoots around me use them in their rifles in 6.5 calibers.
I know they shot well in my 6.5 X 284.
Just something to think about...

chukarmandoo
12-01-2013, 05:56 PM
I would like to try them but they've been hard to come by and like you said most everybody is using them. I know that they are easier to tune for and someday I 'll luck out and score on a bulk amount. No point in buying one box and then having to go back to regular vld's.

tiny68
12-02-2013, 03:48 PM
With the 6BR I see nodes in my ladder about every 1.4-1.6 gr of powder. You have two sets at the upper end with little vertical. I would want to give up that much velocity. I typically try to do a ladder with 0.2 gr increments with a 6BR case capacity and 0.3 gr increment with the 260/308 size case. With 0.5 gr steps I would be afraid I was jumping over a node. Just my 2 cents. Tim

chukarmandoo
12-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Tim, thanks for the info. That is what I'm looking for, someone with ability to look at a ladder test and give their thoughts.
When we do load development it is not uncommon to find 2 nodes. I questioned those but I don't have enough experience in reading this. I have no idea what velocities I'd get at 41 grains +/-. I just don't want to chase the speed thing. I just started with 1/2 grain to get started and then look at the best set of shots and do test in .3 grains like you suggested. Once again there were no signs of over pressure even at 44.0. I'm running the COAL at 2.932 as I load and when I chamber the round and the remove it it measures 2.927. So they are jamb.
Anyone want to give their thoughts, I'd be very grateful . Thanks. Dan

chukarmandoo
12-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Well just finished up the magazines. They fit right. No play, no binding and no rattle. I can run the bolt just fine know. If anyone needs info on this for their FCP-SR with the Accurate-Mag bottom metal and Accurate-Mag magazines P.M. me.

chukarmandoo
12-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Okay Tim I'm taking your advice and I'm under the gun. I need a load worked up by firday so I loaded up a ladder starting with 42.5 going to 44.3 in .3 increments. I have 5 rounds loaded at each step. I'll shoot 2 of each for the test. If I find what I'm looking for then I'll use the last 3 in that range to get my zero and velocity.

tiny68
12-04-2013, 02:51 AM
I would shoot the ladders side by side. Shoot one. Allow the barrel to cool to original temp and shot the second. I run mine through Chrony when I shoot a ladder. I think, my logic here, it learn more. I can see charges windows with some powders that have little change in velocity over a several tenths of powder. I also can see the barrel harmonics. Find a flat spot in velocity tht also is on a vibration node, no/little in vertical with 3 shots, and I then only adjust seating depth and neck tension. Then I choose another bullet or powder and start allow over again. You have to be absolutely certain that the vertical is due to the charge variation and not user error. Other it is all worthless.

Here is a little comparison of powders I play with a few years back.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3205403.msg30936678#msg30936678

I would suggest you find a copy of Rifle Accuracy Facts by Harold Vaughn. Good read. Very technical, but explains the physics behind what matters the ladder test useful.

Luck, Tim